any Phantom Phans?

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I got myself this kit,

F-4-Phantom-II-ADTW-1.jpg

I intend to do the option that isn't on the box art but '301' the proto JASDF F-4, but, seeing a really cool video of the last of these Japanese Phantoms I can see '301' isn't in the same paint as the other three ADTW F-4's, it's a lighter grey, I'm thinking it's the underside colour of the other three only over all of the airframe, this one was built by McDonnell Douglas and shipped to Japan so anyone know what paint shade it's likely to be?

The one nearest the cam in the opening shot of this 'stunning' video!

Miko (when it comes to American types I'm in uncharted territory)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry can't help. Just acquired my first phantom kit though..... Fine Molds..... They're one of the few jet planes I really like.

Hope you get an answer.

Andrew

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Sorry can't help. Just acquired my first phantom kit though..... Fine Molds..... They're one of the few jet planes I really like.

Hope you get an answer.

Andrew

I have a FineMolds F-4EJ too

FM-F4-2.jpg

. . . and for completeness, a Fujimi F-4EJ . . .

Fujimi-F-4-1.jpg

They should make for an interesting comparison

Miko (while I'm at it, i have a Fujimi FG1 British Phantom also, just don't tell the missus! Ha!)

ps. . . I'm in the market for an Airfix FG1/FGR2 !!

Phantomophile? could be?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I rather like a Phantom as well. The Hasegawa one is a pretty good kit and looks the part.
British phantoms are as rare as hens teeth.
As for the colour of the one you are going for I GUESS that it would be McD-D paint from the factory. So ghost gray?
If your doing a Japanese built one I guess they would have either copied the paint or maybe even got that under the agreement as well.
If you park 15 Spooks up in a row, you will see about 20 shades of gray. Pick one and have as it.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Phantom fan here. I prefer the earlier F4J phantoms with the shorter nose and no under nose gun.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I got myself this kit,

F-4-Phantom-II-ADTW-1.jpg

I intend to do the option that isn't on the box art but '301' the proto JASDF F-4, but, seeing a really cool video of the last of these Japanese Phantoms I can see '301' isn't in the same paint as the other three ADTW F-4's, it's a lighter grey, I'm thinking it's the underside colour of the other three only over all of the airframe, this one was built by McDonnell Douglas and shipped to Japan so anyone know what paint shade it's likely to be?

The one nearest the cam in the opening shot of this 'stunning' video!

Miko (when it comes to American types I'm in uncharted territory)
The main colour for '301' would have been FS36622 (matt) or FS16622 (gloss) With the underside in White. and that is according to this old book
20240417_111012_HDR.jpg
Unfortunately the text is in Japanese. And if I remember Richard Ward produced a 1/72 scale set of decals for a JASDF F-4E.
Aeroscale produce(d) the full set of markings for '301' but in 1/48.
And just found this set on evilbay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115462204275

DXM decal 1/72 JASDF F-4EJ Phantom II ADTW Last Flight 2021​

A bit expensive, but will save you a lot of searching.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I rather like a Phantom as well. The Hasegawa one is a pretty good kit and looks the part.
British phantoms are as rare as hens teeth.
As for the colour of the one you are going for I GUESS that it would be McD-D paint from the factory. So ghost gray?
If your doing a Japanese built one I guess they would have either copied the paint or maybe even got that under the agreement as well.
If you park 15 Spooks up . . .

Yep, the Hasegawa does have a lot of critical praise for sure, as for the British Phantom I had no idea Hasegawa created such a thing?
I do have a Fujimi offering and the recent Airfix FG1/FGR2 have their fans too, some believe them to be better than the Hasegawa, I'm not so sure?

Ghost grey has been mentioned too but you're right about the many grey tones the F-4 appeared in for sure

The main colour for '301' would have been FS36622 (matt) or FS16622 (gloss) With the underside in White. and that is according to this old book

Unfortunately the text is in Japanese. And if I remember Richard Ward produced a 1/72 scale set of decals for a JASDF F-4E.
Aeroscale produce(d) the full set of markings for '301' but in 1/48.

Thanks Mike, I didn't notice the underside is a different colour but underside white is a USN thing as I understand it so a makes sense considering it's original manufacturer

MrColor 311 it is then! Yayy!!

I really like that book, I could do with a copy of it, I can read Japanese 'kana' well enough to get through an instruction sheet, it's the 'kanji' I have problems with, I have a kanji dictionary but it's hard work getting context right sometimes. I have a few Japanese reference books, one in particular was bought for me by missus Miko, they are called a 'mook' rather than a book for some reason and apart from the technical details of aircraft operated in Japan's self defence forces each type has a and anthropomorphized image of a kawaii cute girl with enhanced. . . . . assets?

The following links contain graphic images of extreme cuteness!!
https://i.postimg.cc/zf42s7P2/Mook-5-Copy.jpg

I have the decals for it, it's another case of pre-empting kit manufacturers with an idea before they produce the decal set I need soon after I buy an alternate kit! However, a kind sole from Britmodeller sent me his FineMolds set for the price of postage from Italy which I thought was a bit steep until it turned up 36hours later! I believe he may have over estimated the urgency I had to acquire his generous gesture!

FM-F4-1.jpg

Miko (今後ともよろしくお願いいたします)

Last edited:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have a lot of love for the gorgeous Phantom. I always thought it was such a cool looking plane with it's "don't mess with me" stance.
I guess my real love for it came from a game on the Amiga called 'Flight of the Intruder' it was a flight sim game where you could pilot an A-6 or an F-4 and
I fell in love with both aircraft.

That one looks cool! I keep wanting to find a nice F-4 kit but I want it in 1/48 and the Tamiya kit is a bit expensive for me. I have seen Italeri kits at that scale but I'm not a fan of their kits. so I'll keep looking.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have a lot of love for the gorgeous Phantom. I always thought it was such a cool looking plane with it's "don't mess with me" stance.
I guess my real love for it came from a game on the Amiga called 'Flight of the Intruder' it was a flight sim game where you could pilot an A-6 or an F-4 and
I fell in love with both aircraft.

That one looks cool! I keep wanting to find a nice F-4 kit but I want it in 1/48 and the Tamiya kit is a bit expensive for me. I have seen Italeri kits at that scale but I'm not a fan of their kits. so I'll keep looking.
Try evilbay for Hasegawa F-4's. I have about 5 in the stash and each one has an Eduard cockpit set.
I also have a love of the Phantom, started when I used to spot military aircraft and drive to Aclonbury/Owl End for the RF-4C's, Bentwaters/Woodbridge F-4C/D's. Later got a press pass for the airshow which later led to two of us getting back seat rides in the RF-4C's. Could hang over the fence at Owl End and pass the day with the 'Last Chance' check crew - those were the days before the crazies started messing it up for everyone.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Love a 'Toom'.
First time I saw them was a visit to a RAF airfield operated by the USAF. (I think it was RAF Bentwaters)
I was in the control tower and the call came- 'Two burning - Two turning - Ready To Roll'.
What a take off call!! Next was the roar when the pair raced past and were gone.
Loved them ever since. Which is something considering I'm not a FW fan!!!!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Know zackly what you mean. Used to watch touch & goes at Mirimar Navel Air Station. Once in a while you'd catch a hot dog lighting off after burners.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Try evilbay for Hasegawa F-4's. I have about 5 in the stash and each one has an Eduard cockpit set.
I also have a love of the Phantom, started when I used to spot military aircraft and drive to Aclonbury/Owl End for the RF-4C's, Bentwaters/Woodbridge F-4C/D's. Later got a press pass for the airshow which later led to two of us getting back seat rides in the RF-4C's. Could hang over the fence at Owl End and pass the day with the 'Last Chance' check crew - those were the days before the crazies started messing it up for everyone.
I am soooooooo jealous.