Anyone seen the build a mallard advert?!

V

V1P3R

Just seen an advert for one of those magazines which give you parts to build something. This time it's either a u90 submarine or the great Mallard steam train.

What bugs me though is first issue is 50p which is fine but the other 149 are 8 quid each!! Would any of you buy a model kit over at least 3 years st a cost of over s thousand pound??!!!

Sent from me to you

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Depends if you are willing to buy it for me... :D

No, I wouldn't buy it, I see these things for a dedicated model that will spend the time in creating it. Have seen many of these models hashed together-the builder looses interest and then expects to sell it for £400...er, nope. On the other hand, I have seen some superb examples made. But I think a lot of modelers, like on this site, haven't got the patience to work at something like this, they want to do other builds.

Plus the fact is it really worth £1200?!

Si:smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Not worth the money i have had part works before and you would be better off saving up the money and buy somthing else.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's not worth it I was going to do the IJN Yamoto but when I added it all up it worked out at twice the cost of the full tamiya kit

It's a big rip off IMO

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Especially when you can get a box set for much less. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x3-HORNBY-CLASS-A4s-IN-HORNBY-3-LOCOMOTIVE-PRESENTATION-BOX-/271586547414?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f3bd1d6d6

V

V1P3R

Can you imagine all the kids "Mum it's only 50p. . . ." then "but Mum I have no1 I need to get no2. . . ."

Sent from me to you

First Name
Dave
For a brass o gauge loco it's probably not an expensive model but you don't know how good the kit is the last effort (the flying Scotsman) had repair/replacement parts needed by issue 3 then the motorisation is extra.

Dave

L

Laurie

When I saw the advert on TV I said to Pauline oh yes 45p for the initial thing. Then a huge huge huge rip off.

Any one who buys this is completely nuts. Rather like buying for rock bottom prices stale bread thinking you have a bargain.

If there are 149 issues that will entail, never mind the lolly, just under 3 years in the building mode.

Where did the phrase "rip off" come from. Must be something to do with the rag trade.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
Yes definitely a rip off not the same loco but

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3297

Dave

R

roymattblack

As someone with 'friends in the know' where partworks are concerned, DJH were the makers behind the Hachette Flying Scotsman a few years back.

Any guesses who is making the Mallard kit????

Any guesses why DJH aren't listing their own kit at present????

Roy.

First Name
Dave
I wouldn't mind that sub.But as everyone has said these things are a huge rip off.

A

andyrobs

I work in the trade distributing these partworks (amongst other mags n stuff!!!) and you get so little with each issue for any of them. the model railway village one took about 6 issues just to build a the station building. Also certainly with the first few issues on the big cards you have a lot of waste due to them being returned damaged!!! Maybe my maths is a bit simplistic, but if you charged a pound an issue surely you would get at least 6 times more people buying it!!! I probably would get the u boat one if it was a quid!!!

Cheers, Andrew

R

roymattblack

I subscribed to the Lewis Hamilton McLaren mp24 a few years back and didn't build it until I had all the parts.

It was actually a Kyosho kit and went together brilliantly. Yes, it came in at around £700 and when the Senna McLaren kit arrived around 6 months ago I said to myself - "Do I REALLY want that model?"

The answer was 'no' so I gave it a miss.

Partworks are a very expensive way of buying a kit, but by spreading it out over a long period, many people can get a mega-bucks kit they wouldn't normally be able to afford.

My take on such things now is, if a 1/8 partwork of an Aston DBR1 - or even DBR9, or a Fezza 250 GTO came along, I'd be in.

You have to WANT the model. Don't buy in to it just because you 'quite' like it.

Roy.