Arado 196-A by Encore Models

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and Gals,

Well it took me all day to figure what I was gonna build today and when i finally figured it out, I ended up opting for something totally different from what I had decided on lol.

Todays build was the WWII German floatplane the Arado 196-A.

This particular model was given to me by an ebay seller who messed up and sent one of my purchases to another customer...we finally got it all straightened out and everyone got the models they ordered, but the lady felt so bad, she sent me this Encore model in 1:72 scale.

Anyway, I got to thinking i really should show her that I appreciated the gesture and let her know that it didnt go to waste or worse yet, resold by me. ( I dont resale gifts or "regift" them lol).

So, here it sits on my trucks hood.

Ok, now i gotta go start thinking bout what i am gonna do next.

have a good day,

Greg

Last edited:
A

alan2525

I'm still not sure how you manage to put those models together so fast! Do you have special quick drying paints and things there?

Great work and using your Truck as a diorama base is certainly a new one too!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alan,

Well, I dont know about any "special paints", although if you notice (you might not on all of my models) I use alot of flat paints. The flat colors do, in my opinion dry abit faster than gloss paints and are more forgiving when it comes to fingerprints on the finish.

Some of my spray paints such as the green that the Arado is painted in is a speciality paint. its produced by Krylon for hunters and is sold as camoflauge paint. It only comes in a few colors such as the flat green, a flat tan or sand color and a really flat black. These paints dry incredibly fast and are really "flat". (see photos below).

And since I am usually building some sort of military aircraft, flat colors look more normal. But, in cases where I want a gloss finish, I still use the flat paints, then once I have the model finished and the decals applied, I hit the entire model with a gloss laquer or gloss cote made by testors.

This particular model was a small 1:72 scale and I am getting to where I really dislike building them, I can hardly see some of the parts and have a hard time painting the details for the same reason.

And, my current neck troubles have caused my left hand to go numb and just trying to pick up or hold these small parts is getting harder each time I try to build one of these smaller models.

As for the truck as a display base lol, well that was just a "fluke", My driveway is currently covered in leaves from the trees and with my neck troubles, i cant rake them and if i could, I dont think i could get down on the ground to make the pictures on the drive like some of my other model photos. So, I had to come up with a new "display area", the hood of my truck is at eye level and in the daytime, I still get the foilage in the background, and at night, with inspiration from one of RJ Woods suggestions, I get a high gloss display base by pouring water on the hood before sitting the model on it. If you saw my Hu-16 Albatross model, or the Stinson reliant model, it gives a really nice reflection under the model.

Have a good day,

Greg

325.jpg

330.jpg

327.jpg

For a supplier of these paints in the UK, check this link : http://www.dpmhi.com/products.php?cat=42&type=page

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

lovely model there greg. and the last one as well!

glad i can be of some inspiration :smiling3:

cant wait to see the next one as usual!

B

Bunkerbarge

Hey Greg I'm really impressed, someone has finally come out with a camoflage paint and saved us all that hassle of masking off and painting two differrent colours.

I'm sure now it is only a matter of time before someone comes out with a "Tartan" paint!!

:grinball2:

T

tigertc

\ said:
Hey Greg I'm really impressed, someone has finally come out with a camoflage paint and saved us all that hassle of masking off and painting two differrent colours.I'm sure now it is only a matter of time before someone comes out with a "Tartan" paint!!

hahhahhahahahhahahha

*buys

R

rjwood_uk

\ said:
Hey Greg I'm really impressed, someone has finally come out with a camoflage paint and saved us all that hassle of masking off and painting two differrent colours.I'm sure now it is only a matter of time before someone comes out with a "Tartan" paint!!

ah thats why i could find any in homebase. i didnt realise no one made it yet. im also having trouble finding a new bubble for my spirit level. does anyone know where i can pick one up from/ (the cheaper the better)

lol

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy again guys,

You didnt know about krylons camo paint apparently so I wouldnt expect you to know about their other line of paints.

KRYLON, AMERICA HELPING THE U.K. THRU BETTER CHEMICALS.

just thought i would have a little fun.

Have a good day guys,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

Well glad i could bring a smile to you....now, whats a spirit level ? Lol

We may be already making those in the US too.

have a good day,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

a spirit level, the thing you but against a wall or on say a shelf to see if its level when you are putting it up. what are they called over there?

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

I thought maybe thats what you meant, but I had never seen the term "spirit" in front of the name "level".

We just call em' levels around here.....now, where to find a bubble lol.

Do like I do, go to wall mart and buy a new level lol.

Have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Good work on your Arado AR.186 Gregg,not familiar with these fast drying paint rattle cans,must keep my eyes open for them.

You must be the fastest builder in the whole universe !! but the results defy that as your models always look crisp and neat.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry,

Thanks for the kind words on the Arado.

Yeah the rattle cans save me a little time on breaking out the airbrushes. I love airbrushes but unless you have a workbench where you can have them set up all the time ready to go, it sometimes becomes a real hassle getting everything ready, plugged in, hoses connected....then ya have to mix the paints and then......ya have to change the cups, usually after you have mixed another color of paint.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt trade my airb rushes for anything, I just need to get me an area to work in. I have been looking at metal utility buildings recently and may get one this spring for a workshop.

Now as for being the fastest in the universe....well i dont know bout all that, but once I get focused, i am as tenacious as a bulldog and usually wont stop until I finish.

Anyway, again, thanks for all the kind words, have a good day,

Greg

Last edited: