armed trawlers

A

artic-corsair

has anyone any info on ww11 trawlers , i.e the roundtable class, as i'm thinking of converting one of my trawlers.

B

Bunkerbarge

Have you had a look at the Caldercraft Sir Kay model?

That is actually quite a popular kit and appears on Ebay fairly often. There should be pictures of her around on the net.

A

artic-corsair

i hav'nt looked yet , just thought i'd try here first.

R

RickF

Paul

David McGreggor used to list a 1:96 "Military" class armed trawler, HMS Grenadier. I believe these plans are now obtainable through SS Great Britain at Bristol.

Rick

B

Bluewavestudios

Macone,

That is a very impressive model, thanks for sharing the pics with us...Good Work !!!

Regards.......Mark

M

magpie

On the subject or armed trawlers, have you seen this Russian Cold War Trawler with sonar and Torp Tubes hiding under the bow?

B

Bunkerbarge

You've got to hand it to these guys, they know how to be sneaky!!

K

killick

On the subject of armed trawlers ---does anyone have a photo they can scan and send me of a Strath Class trawler (side view, port or starboard) that would have been taken during WWII??

Paul.

K

killick

Thanks for the Links!! (I didn't know even know about the Fleetwood Trawlers On Line Site... I've been a regular visitor to "The Bosun's Watch", though).

Unfortunately what I need is a side short of a Strath Trawler in "WWII configuration" ...12 pounder gun on the bows, etc. I've been searching for something of that sort since last May but can't find even one photo showing armament, loction of ship's boat, etc. I've found some WWI photos but nothing from WWII....*sigh*

But I really DO appreciate your trying to help!

D

DavieTait

I'll have a look thru what I've got at home tonight but i've got one of my Grandfathers last steam trawler Avondee A826 ( Strath class ) with the 12lb'er up in the bow. Its a general high/low angle mounting just in front of the forward accommodation access hatch.

Avondee.jpg

Not very clear I know but better than nothing I guess. Notice the wheelhouse is covered in heavy oak planks to give some protection against straffing from German aircraft and the walk way around the whelhouse that was removed post WW2 in the bulk of the remaining Strath class vessels.

AvondeeA826-sailing-1950s.jpg

AvondeeA826-mine-in-codend-port-side.jpg

Davie Tait

D

DavieTait

I've managed to get a clearer image of the gun in the bow for you

Avondee-12lber-inbow.jpg

Davie