Attaching small pieces

M

modelclimbs

Hi, Currently doing my first 'proper' build, which is coming along, a few mistake's but that's to be expected! Had some good advice from you guys so far, so was after some more help regarding 'attaching small pieces.' Building Krupp Protze truck and in the instructions it says that certain small pieces should be painted first, like the rifle and spade etc. How do you find it best to glue these on once painted, of course the glue messes up the paint so do you glue them on and then attempt to paint them or do you find where they go and avoid painting that spot? I would imagine painting them after being glued would be very fiddly, but equally, leaving a spot unpainted just as tricky.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
use tiny spots of thick CA glue, applied with a tooth pick (modellers multi-tool lol)

just paint the bits, you arnt using much glue so it aint going to mess it up

works for me anyway

M

modelclimbs

Thanks Paul, think the glue I have been using is too thin for putting on small painted parts as it made the paint run. Will try the thick CA you suggest. Thanks again.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A quick question back at you.
What glue are you using and which paints have you painted the parts with.
Tamiya thin, as indeed all the thin glues (those you apply with a brush) have no problem gluing parts that are painted with acrylic paints. I have done this with loads of different brands and nothing has fallen off.... yet...
The important bit is to use the tiniest amount of glue and dont 'play' with it. Place the part, a tiny bit of glue and leave it alone.
The glue will affect the paint, but as the glue evaporates all will be good. (NOTE some metallic finishes can go a bit weird, but an easy touch up can cure that.)

First Name
Jimbob
I concur with the ca method I always paint the small parts separately and attach with ca and a spray of activator and yeah don't fiddle with it, using the activator does not affect your already painted model.

M

modelclimbs

Thanks guys, I was using Tamiya extra thin and Tamiya acrylic paint, perhaps I was using too much? I was finding that the bits already painted did not stick too well and would 'run' slightly with the paint, causing a slight swirl. As I say, my first real build ( done a bit of experimenting with cheap kits) so am learning, made a few mistakes on this which won't happen next time, so will get there. Maybe just a case of use less glue!! All the help on here has been great, so thanks everyone.