Attention apartment (flat) dwellers!

D

David Scott

Hello all-

Now that I have financially recovered from my domestic restructuring (aka divorce) I will be shortly moving to an apartment. It is a typical Toronto 1 bedroom. About 650 sq ft (about 60 sq meters). I have a small tool box for my tools and brushes but I wonder what do you all use for storing your paint? Also, any other tips for modelling within a small space would be greatly appreciated!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use a six draw set of office draws for paint, about 3' tall, 2' deep and 18" wide. It fits under my bench and contains all my paints, varnishes, decal solutions etc. It is also on castors, so easily moved, though it isn't heavy.
Cheers
Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i bought half a dozen plastic storage boxes with lids from somewhere selling them cheap....forget where.....about 12 inch long, 7 inch wide, 7 inch high.....one for vallejo, one for revell, one for tamiya, one for any other brands, one for weathering stuff and one for odds and ends.....stackable, sits in a stack on the floor in the corner next to the bench

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
About 650 sq ft (about 60 sq meters).

My whole house is smaller than that!

First Name
Jimbob
It's simple you turn your full flat into a storeroom my spray booth is in the bedroom everything else is in the living room seriously though loads of plastic boxes in various sizes!
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
IKEA is a gold mine for small storage systems. I have some plastic boxes with draws that come in three different depths and different widths as well. All can clip together and you can put wheels on them. (work better on wood floors than carpet!)
A cheap desk and a mini spraybooth and your away. I did know someone that had a big box open at the top and front. he placed that on the cooker and let the extractor deal with the paint .... o_O

First Name
Alex
I use a sweet, biscuit/cookie tin, basically any tin. I'm not sure what kind of tins you have over in Toronto but here in the UK around every christmas time I snap up peoples used quality street and roses tins which can store quite a few paints in each one. Also you can use the lid to place parts that are drying out or somewhere to put small parts (depending on the size of the model of course) i've also got a cardboard display stand which i got from a shop, it was free and they were going to throw it out anyway so i store my washes and solutions in that, I raised the end platforms by using a long piece of folded card
DSC01177_zps3cej5dud.jpg

DSC01178_zpsyhkiawlc.jpg

First Name
Alex
Aaaarrrggghhh! I thought spiders only had eight legs!

Lol took me a while to realise what you were going on about, it's actually a tree which I never got round to finishing. Although you have got me thinking what would I do if I found a spider with that many legs? It would probably involve changing my underwear and then when I've got over myself calling environmental health.

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
squash it with a shoe, give the spider a headache for life:D:D