Attention Vallejo Users : New thinners

T

tecdes

Vallejo have just brought out a new thinners for Model Air & Model.

It comes in a large 200ml bottle with the usual squirter.

Used it with Model Air about 25% airbrushing. It seems to be much better than the milky one & has worked perfectly. Had a long session with a few short stops & not one hint of blocking up.

A bit thinner I would say with a slight smell of Vallejo airbrush cleaner about it. Careful in use as it sinks to the bottom very quickly so quick mixing is the order of the day. Also spray a few drops as the first squirt, before using on the model, will get rid of any stuff not well mixed. Got a few blobs of thinners first of all.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've had this in for a while, also the 30ml is the new formula as well, not tried it yet so thanks for the update

W

wbk666

i thought the whole idea of model air was that it didnt need thinning, are you telling me that it does now?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Model Air is pre-thinned but i also add a few extra drops of thinner for when i'm painting mottle on Luftwaffe aircraft just to give me more control

T

tecdes

Wayne Vallejo have prepared Model Air specifically for air brushing and it can be airbrushed directly without thinning.

But there are a lot of decisions to be made by the user of the paint. The type of airbrush, the ambient temperature it is used in, the size of needle nozzle used in the brush. The type of finish required as Allyne has mentioned plus airbrushing intricate parts just a couple of instances. To keep the coats thin so as not to loose panel lines & details especially 1/72 scale. If it is a first mist coat. Also the air pressure used has a bearing on the thickness of the paint delivered.

This really is the beauty of airbrushing the way the user can manipulate. Vallejo Model Air gives for me a great paint to accomplish these things above. Vallejo produce on line a question answer document which gives a great deal of information which is essential in using their paints. Well worth reading as it answers a lot of questions.

Laurie

T

tecdes

One thing I forgot Wayne also the distance you are going to be away from the target for the paint which is coupled to a whole load of things already mentioned.

I started 18 months ago & keep thinking I have mastered this Airbrushing thing. Only to find that I have discovered a bit more & that my technique is still evolving. One thing I can say is that I really enjoy airbrushing whereas to begin with it was like crossing a bed of fire or nails or both.

Still practice to get new ideas. One thing I have found recently is how close I can get to the subject on intricate and almost inaccessible parts. Still means, drat it, that interloper frustration can play its wicked hand on my work.

Laurie

A

andygh

I use screenwash/water mix, it beats anything else I've tried and is of course far cheaper

PS. Vallejo airbrush cleaner is fine for thinning paints too

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
PS. Vallejo airbrush cleaner is fine for thinning paints too
That surprises me as the cleaner breaks down the acrylic resin in the paint..... How long have you been doing that Andy?

Ian M

A

andygh

Only tried it a handfull of times but since I saw the guy on Testor's Scale Workshop do it, it works OK, no breakdown of resin at all, I used it with another manufacturers paint also, think it was Lifecolor, that worked OK too

As I said, I prefer screenwash so it's not something I do all the time

Edit: Just had a quick scan around the net and it seems like using the airbrush cleaner is quite a well known thing, especially for thinning Model Color paints

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Yes I used for a short period Vallejo Brush Cleaner. I stopped for I found it to be aggressive in that it softened the below coat of acrylic paint.

Found that Vallejo thinners was far superior does not soften the coat below plus it has similar ingredients to the paint itself retaining the adhesive quality of the paint. I also have a principle, others may call it an obsession", of using the materials designed to go together. In my book difficult not to go wrong. But that is me

But like all things if something works then that'so'k.

Laurie