Avro Vulcan B Mk2- bigger kits?

J

Jens Andrée

Although I'm really into German WWII tanks I've got a soft spot for cold war planes - probably from growing up in between 3 regiments, whereas one was air force. (and I later joined one of them but infantry, not air)

I've managed to get hold of a SR71 Blackbird in 1/72 but nothing bigger but I've had more luck with our Swedish planes.
One that I really want to build is the Avro Vulcan XM607 that did its only ever wartime missions during the Falklands conflict. That was big news even in Sweden at the time.
All I can find are 1/72 scale models apart from one 1/48 Aeroclub as a vacuum formed kit.

This should be a really popular kit at least for you Brits so I'm surprised I can only find it in 1/72 and smaller scale?

Are there any kits out there that I might've missed in my search?

Many thanks in advance!

J

Jens Andrée

I get zero hits with that search and when I've listed all "avro vulcan" there are no such big kits. There's one 1/33 scale but that's a paper model.
Is it under a different name perhaps?

Are you perhaps thinking of this one?
Heritage Aviation did a limited run (25 numbered kits only!!!)1/32 Avro Vulcan B.2 as a vacuum formed kit more than 10 years ago but that's all I've been able to find.
They were sold to raise money for maintaining the few surviving Vulcans or something like that. That's what I was able to find when searching for kits...

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
James
Mate your out of luck the terible 1/72 airfix one is about the best youl get theres a few smaller variants a 1/144 from great wall hobby and a 1/1200 from cyber hobby both build into small but good kits the airfix ones ok with alot of work and us brits woukd be happy with just a new tool 1/72 infact many of us world snap airfixs hand off for one

J

Jens Andrée

Mate your out of luck the terible 1/72 airfix one is about the best youl get theres a few smaller variants a 1/144 from great wall hobby and a 1/1200 from cyber hobby both build into small but good kits the airfix ones ok with alot of work and us brits woukd be happy with just a new tool 1/72 infact many of us world snap airfixs hand off for one
So it's like I feared then... :sad:

I just don't understand why they can't make a new Vulcan or a SR-71 Blackbird when they make new 109's, Spitfires and such almost every year?
I'm sure they would make a profit on these - especially since nobody else are doing them, or at least doing them well.

We'll just have to make a fuzz and pester the modelling companies hoping they'll listen!

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

I just don't understand why they can't make a new Vulcan or a SR-71 Blackbird when they make new 109's, Spitfires and such almost every year?
I'm sure they would make a profit on these - especially since nobody else are doing them, or at least doing them well.

We'll just have to make a fuzz and pester the modelling companies hoping they'll listen!

I'm sure airfix has just released or is going to release a new tool Vulcan.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

It is the Heritage Aviation kit I remember. I didn't realise it had only been released in such a small quantity.

As far as "Why don't the manufacturer's make ....?", we've all been here before with lists of subjects we want to see. Things are getting better and there are subjects now that we never dreamt of seeing but I do wonder how the manufacturers decide what to make next. It's always a safe bet to come out with a new Bf 109 or Tiger or Spitfire because they know they will sell; but how do they decide which of the less well known subjects to pick?

First Name
James
Its a good point to be honest a spit is goner sell in buckets new modlers kids someone looking for a miji build or a quick build they fly together and off shelfs and can be made for as little as £6.99 can they really take a punt tooling a new vulcan all that money for em to sell a few to people like us for £70 and then intrest dwindle away and then they have lost out i mean look at the valliant from airfix i think somehow that sufferd this fate

J

Jens Andrée

I understand it's simpler to flog a mediocre popular kit year after year instead of building a high-end kit for twice the money, but I'm sure the buyers are out there.
I mean, several companies have produced all the Swedish cold war jet fighters from Tunnan and Lansen, through Draken and Viggen and now Gripen and they're obviously selling enough for updates and variants of the kits?!
But it's not me making the investment so fair enough...

As predominantly an armour modeller I'm used to finding just about everything I can think of, and then some, so this is why I'm so surprised not finding these icons. Icons in my eyes.

J

Jens Andrée

YES!!!

A BTR-60 or a Ferret would suit me perfectly!!! :tongue-out:

I almost bought an old, but running, Russian MTLB about 10 years ago but hesitated because I knew how much work is involved in maintenance and you can't just nip down to the local garage and buy spare parts...

Wasn't this the guy who found all those gold bars in an old T-72 from Baghdad? I haven't heard yet whether he was allowed to keep them or not?

First Name
Alex
YES!!!

A BTR-60 or a Ferret would suit me perfectly!!! :tongue-out:

I almost bought an old, but running, Russian MTLB about 10 years ago but hesitated because I knew how much work is involved in maintenance and you can't just nip down to the local garage and buy spare parts...

Wasn't this the guy who found all those gold bars in an old T-72 from Baghdad? I haven't heard yet whether he was allowed to keep them or not?

Wow what a find. gold bars in a tank. fake news? or just bizarre reality? I think you would need a big budget, lots of patience and skill plus space to have a tank and make it work. You could just have it as a conversation piece in your garden but moving it would cost a small fortune, tanks aren't exactly light, even light tanks are heavy.

J

Jens Andrée

Wow what a find. gold bars in a tank. fake news? or just bizarre reality? I think you would need a big budget, lots of patience and skill plus space to have a tank and make it work. You could just have it as a conversation piece in your garden but moving it would cost a small fortune, tanks aren't exactly light, even light tanks are heavy.
It's all true and this we only know because after they'd found the gold his daughter told many of her friends about it (probably because it was so surreal) that he had to turn it in to the police.

First they thought they'd found some guns - which isn't uncommon, and this is also probably the reason why they filmed the moment when they dug out the contents.
Here's the recorded event!

A lot of gold was stolen from the banks in Baghdad and hidden wherever they could and those who got killed kinda buried the secret with them.

He bought this tank from another guy who'd done the initial restoration and what he felt after he found out that the tank he'd just sold for a comparatively tiny sum compared to the value of the gold we'll never know... ;)

It's still to be decided who the gold belongs to since they were unmarked. I'm kinda hoping that he gets to keep the gold...

First Name
Alex
It's all true and this we only know because after they'd found the gold his daughter told many of her friends about it (probably because it was so surreal) that he had to turn it in to the police.

First they thought they'd found some guns - which isn't uncommon, and this is also probably the reason why they filmed the moment when they dug out the contents.
Here's the recorded event!

A lot of gold was stolen from the banks in Baghdad and hidden wherever they could and those who got killed kinda buried the secret with them.

He bought this tank from another guy who'd done the initial restoration and what he felt after he found out that the tank he'd just sold for a comparatively tiny sum compared to the value of the gold we'll never know... ;)

It's still to be decided who the gold belongs to since they were unmarked. I'm kinda hoping that he gets to keep the gold...

I wonder if it's some kind of publicity stunt? although it's not unreasonable for this kind of thing to happen. I've looked it up and any treasure found belongs to the Crown, legally you have 14 days to report your find to the local finds liason officer who will pass it on to the coroner who decides if it is treasure or not and who gets to keep it. Sometimes people will get a reward for finding treasure but not necessarily equal to the value of it. Another thing could be it's treated as stolen property, for example if it belongs to the government of Kuwait or Iraq it may have to be returned, although how likely that is i don't know.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wonder if it's some kind of publicity stunt? although it's not unreasonable for this kind of thing to happen. I've looked it up and any treasure found belongs to the Crown, legally you have 14 days to report your find to the local finds liason officer who will pass it on to the coroner who decides if it is treasure or not and who gets to keep it. Sometimes people will get a reward for finding treasure but not necessarily equal to the value of it. Another thing could be it's treated as stolen property, for example if it belongs to the government of Kuwait or Iraq it may have to be returned, although how likely that is i don't know.

I'll bet if he tries to keep it, he'll be accused of being a thief, but if the government decides to keep it, that's economic policy!