B17 Flying Fortress Build, European Theatre

Discussion in 'Member Suggested group builds' started by Neil, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Neil

Neil SMF Poster

First Name:
    Neil
    I am expecting  Mr Postie to deliver the new Airfix build tomorrow and it got me thinking to make a GB of B17's - there is a Revell 1/72 and the new Airfix 1/72 but the point is not so much the scale or manufacturer but the actual aircraft - I found plenty of decal sets for many of the UK based bombers with the big distinction in all of them being the slight variations in colour schemes used, and the nose art and tail fins. You can use the kit scheme or after market schemes, variant doesn't matter but it must have flown in the European theatre - so either Eighth Air Force from the UK or Fifteenth from Italy. I'm not sure there were that many Pacific theatre anyway.

Now the only problem is I am a slow builder and I'm already signed up for two 6 month ones- looking at the new build in AMW this month - it is not a short build, ho hum, nose to the grindstone if accepted. Any takers?

2. rickoshea52

rickoshea52 SMF Poster

First Name:
    Rick
    Wouldn't this overlap with Bob's WW2 Allied Aircraft GB? There is a risk of duplication that could dilute the level of participation.

Just my thoughts.

3. dubster72

dubster72 Patrick

First Name:
    Patrick
    I think it might also overlap with the Nose Art GB. Why not hold off & do your Airfix B-17 in that GB Neil? 

4. Neil

Neil SMF Poster

First Name:
    Neil
    I should hold it over to the first 2018 GB at the rate I go :)  

However, it does seem this is covered, as we say in my profession RTFM.