B25 Construction 1/8 Scale

S

Sky Raider

Well guys,

This is a teaser for you all. Here is the first look at the next Project. As you can see it is a Billy Mitchell Kit. Purchased by a chap in Feb 1989, lived in the box since, it cost then £151.00, i know this because the receipt is still in the box. If you could find one today... god knows what you would pay for it.

Wil the other work on the house well under way, i have decided to build this through the week and carry on with the loft at weekend. Keeps ting ting happy and me at the same time.

I call her ting ting because she can cook you anything as long as its in the microwave.

Stay tuned

Andy

View attachment 19118

View attachment 19119

B25 Kit.jpg

B25 Kit 2.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi andy, cant wait to see this one under construction,are you going to do it natural metal or camo?:bigthumb: cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
hi andy, cant wait to see this one under construction,are you going to do it natural metal or camo?:bigthumb: cheers tony
Hi Tony,

I have had many thoughts on this one and here is a picture that i have opted for.

Thanks

Andy

View attachment 19131

b25 chosen Scheme.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice!!! even got a bit of nose art too!this scheme will help it to stand out when you fly it as well . tony

S

Satnav313

It's gonna be a winner for sure Andy. Cant wait to see this beast after that amazing p47. Im liking your choice of paint it will look great.

Tom.

S

Sky Raider

b25 construction

Glad you liked the color scheme. God knows when she will fly, i anticipate about 12 months on the build as there is a lot of scale ineriors to build. I will have them stacking up on the runway the way im going. I need to stop buyibg these things. I now have in my workshop.

a Mustang, Thunderbolt, Piper Cub, Cessna & the B25. Ill have to get a bigger place the way im going.lol

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well gang,

Here is the first look at the B25, not much to look at here guys. These are the makings of the stab, These 2 fins fit together quite easily and have only a few parts. I will pick up some ZAP tomorrow so that we can really get started.

The build is very different from the P47, not so many parts yet it is at the same scale. Some parts have to be cut to, and i have found that one of the leading edges on the Stab is shorter than it is meant to be as the 2 dont come together at the apex.

Andy

View attachment 19162

View attachment 19163

Fins.jpg

Complete Fins.jpg

S

Satnav313

Hi Andy,

cant wait to see it progress (when you get some more ZAP) and come to life.

Should look fantastic.

Tom

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy, cant wait to see it progress (when you get some more ZAP) and come to life.

Should look fantastic.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Here is the next installment, i got some ZAP today and we are on a roll again. This is the further construction of the stab, as you can see it is almost done. Compare that to the stab on the P47 and you'll see that there are fewer parts on the B25 yet the result will be the same.

Thanks again

Andy

View attachment 19206

View attachment 19207

View attachment 19208

View attachment 19209

Stab basic.jpg

Stab ribs.jpg

Rudder Linkage push rod.jpg

Bell crank former.jpg

S

Satnav313

\ said:
Thanks Tom. Here is the next installment, i got some ZAP today and we are on a roll again. This is the further construction of the stab, as you can see it is almost done. Compare that to the stab on the P47 and you'll see that there are fewer parts on the B25 yet the result will be the same.Thanks again

Andy
Looking great Andy.

Are you using electric engines or petrol/methanol?

Tom

G

Gladiator111

Looking great Andy, love the chosen colour scheme. How long do you envisage this project to take? What does Ting Ting think of all this modelling business? Keeps you out of trouble and strife? heh, tickled me that...

Should call my other arf, "dinner in dog" after those repeated late night modelling jaunts in the garage.

Chris

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looking great Andy.Are you using electric engines or petrol/methanol?

Tom
Hi Tom,

Think the best option for this is electric, no hassel with balancing RPMs and engine stalling. 2 nice brushless motors i think will do the job.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looking great Andy, love the chosen colour scheme. How long do you envisage this project to take? What does Ting Ting think of all this modelling business? Keeps you out of trouble and strife? heh, tickled me that... Should call my other arf, "dinner in dog" after those repeated late night modelling jaunts in the garage.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I would think this one might go the full 12 months. There is a lot of interior detail to build into this one with all the gun turrets etc. Could be months alone on that detail. Ting, Ting is happy because she is getting an extra room in the house finnished. She is ok though, never moans much. Except if i have to take her shopping. I took her out for a drive the other day to Stafford, a good hour and half ride. Moan, moan, moan all the way there, she was still moaning when i let her out of the boot.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Time for a progress update. Didn't get anything done this weekend gang. I had a clay shooting weekend at Dovey Valley in Wales. 300 clays to be precise.

Here is the continued progress of the tail section, seems to be a slow going process this one. Having to finish the loft takes up a lot of valuable build time. Have to keep Ting Ting happy... soon be Christmas and if i get it finished im guaranteed my annual festive feast, Egg and Chips, cant wack it. She asked me last year if i wanted a pup for christmas, i said no, you struggle as it is to get the Turkey in the microwave.

Anyway all that will be here before we know it!!.

You will see from the pics that all of the mechanics in the tail are quite basic, there is a horn below the stab to operate the fins and a 2 pronged contraption to work the elevators. Plenty of sanding is required to shape this section and you can see i have started with one of the fins. I will cut out the trims on this project and make the necessary parafinalia to give that authentic scale look.

Thanks for following this one.

Andy

View attachment 19267

View attachment 19268

View attachment 19269

View attachment 19270

View attachment 19271

View attachment 19272

View attachment 19273

View attachment 19274

Fin linkage.jpg

Fins.jpg

Fins 2.jpg

Holding the top skin flat.jpg

Linkages.jpg

Lower Stab Skin.jpg

Mechanics.jpg

Overview of stab.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
looking great Andy.What are you using for the windows?

Tom
Hi Tom,

Luckily the windows come in the kit. i might modify slightly as i did with the thunderbolt.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well gang, we move on. The tail section is now complete as far as shapeing and sanding goes. When the fuse is ready i will assembe and firbreglass the tail section. Also at the riviting stage i will add the trim tab mechanisms, rib formers along with the rivits.

Next is the fuse, i cant wait to start this, this is where the fun begins, loads more to photograph and tons of interior detail and painting to do.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 19275

View attachment 19276

View attachment 19277

View attachment 19278

Elevator complete.jpg

Fin complete.jpg

Stab complete.jpg

Tail section complete layout.jpg

S

Satnav313

Looks superb Andy. I'm looking forward to seeing the fine detailing im sure you will achieve. If this is any better than the jug it deserves to be in a museum.

Tom.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looks superb Andy. I'm looking forward to seeing the fine detailing im sure you will achieve. If this is any better than the jug it deserves to be in a museum.Tom.
You are too kind Tom. The only thing that bothers me is running out of room for all of these projects. I would like to keep them all but if i did i could never build ant more as i wont have the room to keep them.

Thanks for the comments mate

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Hi again gang,

Well this one is proving to be a hard one, i thought the Thunderbolt was tricky but now it turns out to be a walk in the park. The problem is that the instructions to build this kit is all writern on 4 peices of A4 paper. The Thunderbolt was a book of about 60 pages and with pictures. I started the fuse tonight and spent 30 minutes looking for 2 parts that i couldnt find. The drawing plan shows 2 part, a left and a right fuse stringer, for those in the dark this is the outer skin for the top sides of the fuse, i will show this in the next post in a few mins. Anyway after searching for ages i sat and thought a little and found that these 2 parts are actually 4 parts Zapped together and not 1 part as shown on the drawing. You can make this out if you look at the very top left of the plan. I think this is going to be a nightmare from start to finish. I suppose for a kit that is over 20 years old it was the norm at the time. You will see what i mean from the pics below.

Andy

View attachment 19301

View attachment 19302

Plan.jpg

Plan 2.jpg