Bargain Mirage

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm not a big fan of 1/72 scale aircraft (too much hassle masking canopies) but looking round a charity shop I spotted an Airfix Mirage IIIC for the princely sum of £1. Well, it would have been rude not to! It seemed to be complete, but later found that the pilot and the nosewheel bay rear door were missing, as well as the instructions.
I started trying to fill and sand all the sink marks, but there were just too many, coupled with raised panel lines, (this kit is, I believe, from the 60s) so I gave up and decided to just throw it together for practice.
The paints are mostly the 'new blend' Hataka, from their Argentine Falklands war set. They seemed pretty good to me, but this is only the second model I've airbrushed.
The decals were a nightmare - seemed to be stickier on the outside than the side towards the model, so stuck to fingers and tweezers - tried using a paintbrush but they just curled. In addition, wherever they touched the kit they stuck, and just wouldn't move, so some aren't quite straight. (I tried with water, Decalfix, and Klear).
P1130752.JPG P1130754.JPG P1130755.JPG There were two sets provided, but I used whichever would work, so the end result is a mixture of two schemes.
The matt coat is Galeria, which sprays beautifully.
Oh, and I know the main u/c bay inner doors should be open; I found a photo without the doors hanging down, and only realised later it was of a much more recent Mirage with a completely different door arrangement.

Next will be another charity shop find - a Revell Lancaster in a Marks & Spencer boxing - never knew they sold kits. I actually passed that one by, but them noticed a lady looking at it. I told her I'd have it if she didn't, at which she replied "Huh! £6 and they expect you to put it together yourself!".

Attachments

• P1130756.JPG
    P1130756.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 2

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
For a quid...you have turned out a beauty Peter, nice work indeed.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For a quid you were right it would have been rude not to, a nice clean job with an old kit.

and next not just any Lancaster but an M&S Lancaster.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top result peter , and a bargain too , you certainly got your moneys worth ! , cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
"not just any Lancaster but an M&S Lancaster"
Very good Dave!

Pete

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hard to believe this is the ancient Airfix Mirage III Peter. Lovely paint work, it has brought the kit to life.

Look forward to seeing your M&S (Revell) Lancaster in due course :smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is bang for your buck!! Nice one!!:cool::cool: