BarryW's Hawker Typhoon Airfix 1:24

First Name
Dave
Great paintwork Barry.The sort of standard mere mortals like me can only dream of achieving.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 103056

\ said:
I'm not saying blue is wrong, just that I have never seen blue bulbs used for starboard navigation or position lights before. Coloured bulbs were used inside a clear cover, that much I know.
Just to add to this we have a French 757 in our hanger at Southend undergoing maintenance .One of the jobs we are doing is fitting winglets to it.Heres a pic of the removed original wing tips.Red and blue Nav light covers in this case.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
View attachment 103065

\ said:
I'm not saying blue is wrong, just that I have never seen blue bulbs used for starboard navigation or position lights before. Coloured bulbs were used inside a clear cover, that much I know.
And here's a Thomas Cook A321 with green bulb in the starboard wing!.

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Red and blue Nav light covers in this case.
That looks dark green to me, maybe a blueish tinge to the lens, but I'll bet you that it illuminates as a green.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Barry.

Re the nav lights. I have often seen models with blue starboard lamps I think I read some place the early on green lamps where to light/bright and appeared almost white. Thus they used blue...

I don't have a clear blue, so use green..

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That looks dark green to me, maybe a blueish tinge to the lens, but I'll bet you that it illuminates as a green.
As you will no doubt know Joe,Civil aviation regulations dictate a red light on the port wing tip and a green light on the starboard tip showing from dead ahead ,through an arc of 110 degrees to aft (remember that from my LAE exams some years ago).Just thought I'd be a bit mischeveous and throw that pic in!.Green can look blue under certain lighting conditions.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Barry

What can I say?! Your Tiffy is looking absolutely stunning. It certainly looks as though you've enjoyed the build so far and the result is quite simply brilliant I hope my turns out as well.

When I do get round to opening that box and starting the Typhoon I will definitely be referring to this excellent build for tips and reference.

Great work

P

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have touched up where needed and painted in some details such as the panels in the invasion stripes for the codes plus the exhausts. Mind you the exhausts are looking a bit shiny and bright but that will change after some washes and pigments. Tomorrow I will start the masking up ready to paint the roundels and flashes.

View attachment 103207

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice. The painted markings certainly look at lot better than decals. Something for me to think about for the future.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night I sprayed a gloss coat, Alclad Aqua Gloss. Tonight I applied the decals for the codes, stencilling and odds and ends. I have just treated them with Mr Mark Softer to help them conform close into the detail. Tomorrow I will apply a sealing coat of gloss which will be left until Thursday when I will start the panel line pinwashes using the new AKI wash.

View attachment 103798

View attachment 103799

image.jpg

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks chaps - oh, the 'blob' showing just in front of the cockpit is some Mr Mark not a paint or varnish run!!! I had a look this morning and the decals are nice and 'tight' with no sign of even the slightest silvering anywhere. She is looking rather splendid I thought !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Indeed she is Barry. You have even lifted your own bar on this one.

Very very nice

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Tonight I start weathering. The picture is of the materials I will be using. Some will be applied to the gloss surface such as the paneline wash, some after the first matt coat, such as the pigments and some after the final matt coat such as the oil and fuel stains. I will post more details shots of what I am doing in this stage as this is a test for the AK products having done some basic testing before.

View attachment 103877

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have just managed to apply the panel line wash to the gear doors and the tops of the main wings. But this is a much more time consuming method than a sludge wash. Mind you because of the rivet detail a sludge wash would probably be the better option. But I will persist and carry on tomorrow.

I did apply an exhaust wash to the exhaust though. This is to darken the rather bright metal and bring out some detail. I have a few more processes to do yet on the exhausts.

Here is how the exhaust looks now.

View attachment 103935

It looks a bit gold in the pic - it isn't !!!

Here are the gear doors with a wash applied.

View attachment 103936

I used a flat brush moistened in ouderless thinner brushed in the direction of the airflow to remove the excess.

View attachment 103937

It looks a mess above but a bit more brushing and we get to this.

View attachment 103938

It looking pretty good

I worked the wings in sections and realised that I needed to really use a larger flat brush for removing excess.

View attachment 103939

Above before removal

The the full wing when done.

View attachment 103940

I do like this method but it will work better on some models than others. Overall I think the result is very promising. The AK wash flows well in the relatively few panel lines.

I will get on tomorrow and may get to finish the panel line washes probably Monday at my current rate. I need to work Saturday morning so I won't have any time over the weekend. I will post when I have finished the wash and when I am ready for the next stage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg