battle damage

• Thread starter Tyler Christiansen
  • Start date
T

Tyler Christiansen

hello modelers,

i dont exactly know how to create battle damage (i.e. a sherman hit by 88mm cannon) does anyone know a way to create that kind of damage on a tank?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Tyler, it's a wide open question....

When I did my 'Dead Elefant' tank model, I made it look like it was hit by two shells and a severe internal fire followed. I took a look at 'Tank damage' on Google Images to get some ideas.

Obviously it all depends how much damage you want to do on the model....a total wreck or just some superficial damage. Try the above for starters. I'm sure someone will be along with other suggestions and good luck when you start the model.

Cheers,

Ron

F

Fenlander

What you have to think about is what hit the tank and where. Armour piercing shot will often punch a fairly small, about fist size, hole on the exterior but create carnage on the inside as Molton shrapnel bursts into the crew or engine compartment usually causing fire which is the real tank killer. Ron depicted this very well on the model he mentioned.

HE, high explosive, shells do not pierce thick armour but a big shell or a small well aimed one can destroy a tank if it hits the right spot especially engine covers, external fuel tanks and tracks. Although knocking the tracks off disable a tank, it does not stop it fighting but it would be very brave or very stupid crew that sat in a sitting duck in a tank battle

Scan the net for pictures, there are tons of them. If you compare WWII with modern conflicts you will see some similarity of damage from normal anti tank guns but modern missiles really rip tanks apart.

As for how to get the whole in a model, a hot screwdrivers works well but practice on a crap bit of plastic first, if I remember right, that is how Ron shot his elefant (spelling?)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
US Armor & Vehicles - Sherman Knocked Out

Check out the 12th pic in this next link. sherman hit by an 88mm

Photographs - Page 47

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spot on Graham and thanks for the compliment. Yes, I did use a hot tipped precision screw driver, but obviously anything of a suitable diameter would do.

Tyler, the end needs to be red hot as the hole needs to be a sweet round. Too cool and the hole will not be round, more gouged out!

The spelling of 'elefant' is I believe the German way.....

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Despit my complete ignorance of heavy things without wings I happen to have a photograph gruesomely entitled "Dead Sherman Driver". I have cropped the area above the unfortunate fellow that shows the damage from some kind of armour piercing projectile.

This version is suitable for the squeamish and won't upset the kids.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

It is the German way Ron, just wasn't sure if I got it right lol

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you everyone for the advice and i cant wait to try out the ways to create battle damage

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Shermans battle damag is easy. Just make it look like it's been on fire. Because they weren't called 'Tommy cookers' for nothing (unfortunetly)

tiking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Charles
The best how to site that caters to such things: http://site.scratchmod.com/Home.php

W

Waffen Bucks

A soildering iron on a plastic kit ...instant battle damage