Battle of Britain build part 3 - Spitfire! (Revell 1/32 new tool Spit Mk.II)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

To be honest, I've lost a tiny bit of enthusiasm for this build. However, it's been another lesson learned and I still have every intention of making these 3 work.

Hey Ziper

How do you plan to thin the no walk lines?
I'm simply going to mask one side of the line and airbrush the camo over the top, or reverse mask by placing a thin line of mask over the top (thinner than it is now) and again airbrush in the camo.

The paintwork is a way off the finish I'd like but it will get closer.

Thanks again everyone

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A nice clutch of birds there!

Can I ask what plotter you have? Considering buying one some day.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Paul I think your being a bit hard on yourself. The paint work is great and the markings are outstanding. As you say masking will sort the lines out. Looking forward to further updates.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys for dropping by

Vaughan - thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think the faullts I have with the paintwork are insurmountable - they will be sorted. And, as with all new skills, it takes a bit of time to get used to the process and learn the pitfalls. In that sense whatever result I get with these will be worth it. That said, if I can turn round the decal debacle on my Stuka I'm gonna have a damn good go at sorting this out!

It may be a few weeks now before I resume progress on these - taking a trip back home (Yorkshire) this weekend and I've got a shed load of paperwork waiting for me when I get back.

Ian - the plotter I'm using is the Cameo Silhouette. The real issue though is buying decent software to draw your designs (I'm using Illustrator). The plotter itself is a piece of cake to use.

Could be a while (fortnight or so) before this thread is updated now.

Thanks everyone

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nearing completion...

Hi everyone, it seems like ages since I last updated this thread. I had to go to the 3rd page of the thread listings to find my thread such is the pace of the work within this category!

Anyway, the 3 Spitfires are nearing completion now and I thought I'd give a sneak preview of DW K (which you may remember is going to be the photographic model).

All 3 models are, more-or-less, in the same place. I've weathered them (except for exhaust stains, and oil streaking underneath), they've all received the aerial wire and have received the satin varnish top coat.

Anyway here's DW K as she looks at the moment.

View attachment 107970

View attachment 107971

View attachment 107972

I won't be doing anymore updates until these are all finished and on their respective base/diorama but I think the diorama may be worth waiting for (well, I hope!)

Cheers

Paul

DWKfinalstages02low.jpg

DWKfinalstages01low.jpg

DWKfinalstages03low.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beatifully painted and weathered Paul , looking forward to seeing all three together, cheers tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great Paul,very nice paint and weathering, ;)

will be looking forward to seeing all 3

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

DW K should be completed this week with the diorama containing the other 2 Spitfires following shortly afterward. I'm hoping a couple of weeks off will see the dio finished but I can never tell with what else may crop up. The plan is to give the figure panting tutorial I promised earlier in the thread during this dio build.

Thanks again guys for your support it's much appreciated.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Guys

Here's an update/sneak preview of the Spitfire diorama.

This is rather a large piece measuring nearly a metre in length so it's a bit difficult to photograph.

I've still to finish a lot of the foliage, weather the barbed wire and finish sculpting the 4 boys who will waving wildly at the 2 Spitfires passing overhead. There may also be some animals in the scene.

The aircraft themselves need to be properly secured to the brass rods and positioned correctly (they will of course be flying in the same direction and will clear the trees!!!) and then the electrics connected up for the prop motors.

Anyway, here it is at the moment

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 107961

View attachment 107962

View attachment 107963

View attachment 107964

View attachment 107965

View attachment 107966

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Superb stuff Paul, the children waving will give the scene that poignant touch.

Can't be easy to secure 1/32 scale models to those thin brass tubes!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

Im hoping to have this finished in about 3 weeks time. I'm now straining at the leash to start my 1/32 He 111 but this does not mean I will be rushing this dio.

Can't be easy to secure 1/32 scale models to those thin brass tubes!
Patrick - the Spits are secure enough and once they're actually glued to the brass tubes will stay put. You're right though if one part of this dio is going to go then it's those brass tubes!

Cheers

P

Last edited by a moderator: