Battle of Britain Hurri and Spit

W

Womble

Hi Guys. I am in the process of doing both a Spitfire and Hurricane with the half black underside, the instruction for the Hurri say half black and the other half white but the spit says half black and the other half sky, Is this right were they different or is it a mistake. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks Jim.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Date dependant.

Simplistically,in the BoB period,before 7th June 1940,Sky was not applied to the underside of Fighter Command's aircraft. The undersides were Black(Night) and White halves.

The Black/White scheme was decided upon on 17/1/39 and Supermarine were told to start applying it to their aircraft on 27/1/39. Hawker and others would have received the order at around this time too.

There was a period between November 1940 (28/11/40 delayed until 12/12/40) and April 1941 (revert to Sky 8/4/41 delayed 22/4/41) when the underside of the port wing only was supposed to be painted Black (Night) and a yellow ring applied around the roundel on the underside of the black wing. The rest of the underside would have remained in Sky.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Womble

Thanks Steve, that explains it perfectly, I can get spraying now.

Jim