Battle of Britain Part 3 Spitfire Mk1

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I keep looking at this and it does look good but could you post more of a walk around of the actual model so I can have a good look please :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding modelling and visuals Paul. 5 star...top drawer...gold award...amazingness.

Si:smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers everyone

I intend to post a lot more photoshop comps over the coming years (I'm afraid my model building speed tends to be rather ponderous (I'd love to be able to do this more quickly, but failing a lottery win I will not be able to do this full time!). I will however post a few more shots of the actual model (without any photoshop work) when I get a little time.

With regards to learning Photoshop - there are loads of really good tutorials online that will walk you through the steps. I've learned what skill I have in this program over many years within my career. As with so many things there is no substitute for practice.

The principle to this technique is simple enough.

1. Make a selection of your model

2. copy that selection

3. Paste this selection in a new layer above the background layer.

4. Open your new chosen background eg. Sky and select it.

5. Copy it.

6. Paste this new background on to the model 'background' layer.

That's the simple bit. The skill lies in making the model and the new background seem as one and look natural. Hue, Saturation, Exposure, Tint etc all play a part in making the picture look natural and is too vast a subject for me to cover.

One more thing...

I do believe that photoshop is just a tool. For me, the model is the art and I don't want the technique to distract from the actual model building skill. If anyone doubts this then I hope they will take the time to have a look at the dio I have under construction that contains the other 2 'wheels-up' Spitifres, that were built alongside this one. No computer software is intended here just simply view.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry, don't want to drag this out much longer but as this was a request I'm just popping a few 'naked' shots of just the model. I've 'shopped' out the stand to further declutter the shot. Also, some of these shots may not be completely sharp as I did these quickly.

Thanks

P

View attachment 108456

View attachment 108457

View attachment 108458

View attachment 108459

View attachment 108460

View attachment 108461

Again sorry, I wouldn't normally milk a build like this!

View attachment 108447

View attachment 108448

View attachment 108449

View attachment 108450

View attachment 108451

View attachment 108452

View attachment 108455

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0357_1.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0357_1.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Don't apologise Paul, I'm enjoying seeing the extra shots :smiling3: Very nice they are too.

Cheers

Steve

K

Keithmayes

I congratulate you on your photos, and models of course. I am also a great fan of PhotoShop and use it a great deal for my astrophotographs, and for more day to day stuff as well. I spends hours, or an entire day, tweaking a single photo.

I would like to make one suggestion for you to consider regarding the first photo in the thread, showing three Spitfires over the white cliffs of Dover. I personally would flip the background so that the light is coming from the RHS of the picture which I think would better match the way the planes appear brighter on their RHS. Just a thought.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks again, Steve and Keith

I personally would flip the background so that the light is coming from the RHS of the picture which I think would better match the way the planes appear brighter on their RHS.
Your suggestion regards the background is a valid one and you're right the light is coming from the wrong direction. The reason I left it was that if one knows the Dover cliffs it would be immediately obvious. To be honest these are only quick tests and there is much to improve on these in terms of both the photography and the set up. In future I want to light them for a particular shot and properly craft the resulting comp. With these I simply married the shots I had to some suitable skies and tweaked the result to look more 'whole'.

I would be interested to see your work if you have examples. My profession is as a graphic designer/art director and I use photoshop a lot but that's not to say that I know everything nor that I'm any good at it - I'm no repro technician, not even a great photographer but I do like to think I have something of an 'eye'.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by look forward to seeing some of your work

Cheers

P

C

cryton 5

hello

A fitting tribute so life like such detail cheer's for post id be proud seeing on my self !! cry !

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Errata

Thought I'd just list a few accuracy errors that I know of in the finishing of these 3 spitfires.

1. I'm aware that I sprayed the starboard walk line wrong and this should not be an 'L' shape but continue straight on to the wing root.

2. The camouflage should be harder edged, for the next 2 Spitfires I will be using paper masks.

3. The voltage regulator may be the older style

If anybody knows of any further errors then please let me know.

Many thanks

Paul

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sweet!! Milk away................!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is what I'm talking about and it is a fantastic build :smiling3:

Now I'm going to be a pain can you show a couple of pics of the top and underside, from the pics it looks like you've added some subtle weathering and I'd love to see what you've done :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I thank all 3 of you for your replies.

Steve, this really isn't about me being down about these models (I'm not by-the-way) it's more about trying not to perpetuate any misunderstandings about the aircraft, and (selfishly) about getting the next 2 more correct.

The walk line was a stupid error on my part , a quick look at the kit decals would have put me right!!!

The camouflage demarcation I can live with. I sprayed it pretty 'tight' anyway, but I don't think it's possible to get the demarcation in scale freehand.

The regulator I simply didn't know anything about, although I do remember it from the Tamiya 1/48 Mk.I

The early style regulator is very easy to scratch build.
Steve: When did the new style voltage reg come in? Obviously it was standard by the MKII but was it ever fitted at the factory to a MKI?

I've also just remembered another error- the pilot seat armour wasn't fitted on these 3. I remember thinking at the time of the cockpits, 'Oh, I must not forget the armour plate behind the seat', and then promptly forgot all about it until the canopies were on!

Alan, I've packed my photography equipment away now but there are some clearer shots of the top and underside in the build log here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/battle-of-britain-build-part-3-spitfire-revell-1-32-new-tool-spit-mk-ii.27649/page-5

After this stage the only other weathering I did was to the doped gun patches and the oil streaking on the belly and possibly the exhausts staining. I will try at some stage to shoot clearer shots but that might be a couple of weeks away now once the dio is done.

Cheers

P

L

Laurie

An extra dimension Paul ;) A-may-zing.

I like the innovation. What next video in real flight.

Laurie

L

Laurie

PS Paul how did you get the whizzing props which above all gives the very essential authentic bit ? Without that it would fall on it's face.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What next video in real flight.
Actually Laurie, I'm tinkering with a program now that will enable me to do just that!!!

The prop blur is not a trick they are motorised. I even got the motors to match the real aircraft RPM.

I'm glad you like the effect

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The early type above was introduced in late 1939. The shape supports the idea that this was the 'carbon pile regulator' referred to in Modification 78 of 7/11/39.

I'm not sure when this was changed to the later type, initially mounted behind the pilots head, but later moved elsewhere (not sure where off the top of my head). I'm at home this afternoon so I'll have a look to see what I can find.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
Actually Laurie, I'm tinkering with a program now that will enable me to do just that!!!
The prop blur is not a trick they are motorised. I even got the motors to match the real aircraft RPM.

I'm glad you like the effect

Cheers

P
I think you are taking us to a new level here Paul. Very clever indeed and ingenious. Your model looks brilliant in its self as well. I mean on our normal terms of earth like presentation. ;)

My only thought is how am I going to get there ?

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Laurie

My only thought is how am I going to get there ?
My modelling skills have been developing over many years. There are many others out there who put my models in the shade but it gives me something to shoot for. If you want to improve your own skills I can only advise to keep building, keep practicing, look at other build logs and try to pick up the odd technique here and there, but most of all enjoy it.

I've stopped describing certain techniques in my build logs now because I feel everyone is at it! but if you like I'll take a build step-by-step so you can see the way I do things. I'm thinking of doing this when I get round to the next 109 builds (4 kits in total!) and I'll try to describe everything from construction tips, painting (pre-shading etc) and the weathering. Is this of interest?

Next up though is one (possibly two!) He 111s.

I'm not sure when this was changed to the later type, initially mounted behind the pilots head, but later moved elsewhere (not sure where off the top of my head). I'm at home this afternoon so I'll have a look to see what I can find.
Cheers Steve I'm really grateful. I vaguely remember from somewhere that the reg was moved to a location opposite the oxygen tanks? but I wouldn't quote that as gospel!

Cheers

P