BATUS Range Safety Ferret

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I thought would be a quick and easy little build turned into a bit more involved than I had thought, but it’s finished now. (See here for the build part of this.)

fullsizeoutput_18d3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18da.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18db.jpeg

From photos, BATUS vehicles seem to be kept fairly clean and in good condition, other than a layer of dust on mainly the undersides, so all I did after what’s shown in the build thread, was to spray the dust on with Tamiya XF-57 Buff, and also use that to paint in the threads of the tyres before applying black onto the raised bits again.

The figures — as I’m sure many will recognise — are from the old Tamiya Chieftain kit, and they fit pretty well in this vehicle. The commander only needed a bit of plastic card stuck to the bottom of the turret ring for his hand to sit perfectly on the hatch, for example. I didn’t spend a lot of time painting them: just the skin tones, camouflage pattern and details, then a quick shade job with a dark grey glaze. I had most trouble getting them to be matt. The glaze was semi-gloss, due to being based on transparent wood paint for floors etc., and my first attempt with Humbrol Matt Cote that I thought I had very thoroughly stirred, turned out just as semi-glossy as the figures had been before applying that. I then sprayed on Army Painter matt varnish, which reduced the shine, but still not as far as I would have liked. (I want GW Purity Seal from 10–15 years ago back …)

And I still didn’t manage to get all four wheels on the ground!

(Oh, and I think I never did publicly thank @papa 695 for the fire extinguishers — thanks :smiling3:)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Very nice indeed. The figures do fit well and add a lot to the model overall.
Jim

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks good.
I find the Winsor and Newton Galeria Pofessional Matt varnish gives a very flat finish.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
I agree a very good product both by air brush and paint brush.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks good.
I find the Winsor and Newton Galeria Pofessional Matt varnish gives a very flat finish.
Same here. Works well without any need for thinning, comes in a decent size jar for £8 at The Range.

Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice result Jakko.:thumb2:
Ak ultra matt gives a good matt finish too.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks for praise and the tips, all :smiling3: An art supply store in my area stocks Windsor & Newton, I think, so I’ll have to check if they also have that varnish.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:thumb2:

Another vote for AK ultra matt - the mattest matt I have come across
Number plates - you can buy decal paper for your printer. Draw them up on the computer and print your own decals

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Number plates - you can buy decal paper for your printer. Draw them up on the computer and print your own decals
I know, but I’ve never felt like bothering with that.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice finish Jakko. Good if you could extend the matt onto the figures clothing and berret. I would brush on matt after I have handled the figures as finger oils can leave unwanted shine.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I probably should do that when I get my hands on a good matt varnish, yes. Though I must say the shine looks worse in the photos than in the flesh, because of the lamps.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A nice subject well modelled. Another one for the collection. Well done:thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jakko, what a great model, I recognise that driver, Ibbo by name, about 6foot 6inches and all arms and legs, he used to drive a Ferret in our recce platoon, how he ever got in and out was a science unto itself. Having been on exercise in Alberta I cannot remember the vehicles being overly dirty and I am sure it had to do with vehicles being clean on public roads. But nontheless a fantastic mopdel - well done.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko