Before The Bulge and one of my earliest

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

Before "Hold Until Relieved" there was this built in 1986. One of my first times for fir trees and snow...not easy for a guy living in the tropics and never experiencing winter and snow.

The Panther Ausf A is from Tamiya stock standard...I think you can see the tracks through the drivers hatch. White was sprayed on over the camo...didn't even know how to do streaking effects then. There are two figures that were my first in creating winter smocks with two part putty (Milliput but I now use Bondite which is locally manufactured and cost a fraction). I got the pot from Historex...my first after market accessory.

511394.jpg511395.jpg

The decaling is terrible with silvering...didn't apply any varnish prior to putting them on. Tamiya decals were also known to be quite thick at the time.

511396.jpg511397.jpg511398.jpg511399.jpg511400.jpg511401.jpg511402.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look in.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guy, it's so old you can see the flaws and my early venture into dio making. Glad you like it.

Cheers,
Richard

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Richard for one of your first dioramas, Id be well pleased with it now never mind being the first. Seeing some of your newer ones, you have certainly learned from it.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ian...I do have a few dios pre-dating this and some just after. So basically you can see the steady progression of the learning curve.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Richard im not a tanky but your first dio looks good to me an if i did that id be very pleased with the result
chris

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Good looking dio there I know that I'd be in trouble trying to do a tropical one, so for someone who hasn't experienced snow, very well done :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me Richard. Trees and figures are particularly nice, especially as this was your first dio!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard .
Just looking made me think of the cold weather, you certainly captured the snow and pines very well . Nice touch with the meandering stream.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant Richard, very evocative!

ATB

Andrew

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Missed this one first time around. Are the pictures taken in 2018 or 1986?? I would be interested to know how the diorama/model/paint have withstood the test of time. Also has there been a large build up of dust on the model? Thanks in advance

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That's very nice. I also like the stream. You have certainly captured the cold look. Even way back then you were already good at this modelling lark.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen...observation is key to mimicking what you see.;) These were taken in 2018 where the whites are still white. No dust as it is covered in its own glass case as do the other dioramas. One or two figures have popped out of their moorings from the many travels to events easily reattached. Dust may have settled in the stream when the cover was removed at displays.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The icy road is brilliant - very life-like, just how snow compacts down on untreated roads:thumb2: - you sure that you've never seen snow?;):smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Pretty sure Gerry, only in pictures and on the telly. National Geographic mags also helped. They have some wonderful images that seldom people capture of nature.
Have you tried the plaster of paris yet? You will need to test out the consistency of the amount of water per powder content for the best results before working on the dio.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Pretty sure Gerry, only in pictures and on the telly. National Geographic mags also helped. They have some wonderful images that seldom people capture of nature.
Have you tried the plaster of paris yet? You will need to test out the consistency of the amount of water per powder content for the best results before working on the dio.

Cheers,
Richard
No, not tried it yet - the 'snow' dio is the next on the agenda, after the 'Somewhere in Europe/Mountain Pass' which is the one I'm working on at the moment, just like to get things sorted out before starting - usually things go easier if I'm not trying to figure out how to do something halfway through! :thumb2:

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Hi Richard, I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (7th coldest major city in the world with an average temp lower than Moscow - true!). I know cold and snow when I see it, and you NAILED it!. It gave me nightmares of Winnipeg winters (I now live on the 'balmy' West Coast).

May I ask what the snow was made of?