Beginners Question

Z

zigzagwanderer

Hi - did my first (1:72) model recently and painted ALL parts on the sprue, and touched up clear spots later... I'm now about to start a more challenging 1:48 model plane... Is it ok to paint everything on the sprue, or is it better to do just small bits first and paint the large areas AFTER construction? Thanks

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum. I normally paint the small bits on the sprue but the big bits e.g wings, fuselage etc I paint when assembled. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Z

zigzagwanderer

Welcome to the forum. I normally paint the small bits on the sprue but the big bits e.g wings, fuselage etc I paint when assembled. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks Peej - will have a go at it this way ! I assume the disadvantage of painting on the sprue is that there will be gaps in the paint when eventually detached?

J

Jens Andrée

Hi David and welcome!

Painting on the sprues has its advantages, but the major disadvantage is that you're in a pickle when assembling and you find gaps that needs filling with putty because that means filling, sanding, priming and painting and the carefully done painting job you did on the sprues will have to be redone again...
Some things like road wheels for tanks can easily be painted on the sprues but in the end there are always things that will require touch-ups and resprays so you might've gained very little by painting all on the sprues prior.

But if you find it works well for you then continue painting on the sprues! I've done it the other way around and have only recently starting to paint certain parts whilst still being stuck to the sprues, but only primer, not the final paint. That I always do assembled.

There are no rules though. Whatever works for you is the best method! ;)

Z

zigzagwanderer

Hi David and welcome!

Painting on the sprues has its advantages, but the major disadvantage is that you're in a pickle when assembling and you find gaps that needs filling with putty because that means filling, sanding, priming and painting and the carefully done painting job you did on the sprues will have to be redone again...
Some things like road wheels for tanks can easily be painted on the sprues but in the end there are always things that will require touch-ups and resprays so you might've gained very little by painting all on the sprues prior.

But if you find it works well for you then continue painting on the sprues! I've done it the other way around and have only recently starting to paint certain parts whilst still being stuck to the sprues, but only primer, not the final paint. That I always do assembled.

There are no rules though. Whatever works for you is the best method! ;)
Thanks Jens - I'll weigh it up.. ! Seasons Greetings...