Being bashed ! Italeri 1/72 Tupolev tu22 Blinder

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Panel lines re-scribed, lumps and bumps added to the engines ,and a refuelling probe made . The wing to fuselage joint is loads better now having been sanded,filled and blended and the panel lines re-instated. Ive posed the elevators in position for the pics but they arent going to be attached until painting is done , as it would make it difficult due to the engines overhang.After re-scribing the whole thing has had 2 coats of Halfords white primer from the rattle can, and is it just me or does it look really cool in the allover white?!! The reason for the white primer is that there are lots of white panels all over the aircraft so i reasoned that this undercoat would just need the panels masking off then the silver applying and job done! Next job (as well as the silver paintwork) is the wheels, these having wrongly shaped hubs (surprise,surprise!!). The kit ones are deeply dished but the real ones are flush covers with 12 shaped holes in them, ive already cut 8 x 8mm circles of plastic card but the holes are the real killer. I'm thinking about just painting the covers green and adding the holes with a fine black pen, I tried drilling the holes but it was too hard to get them all equally spaced , anyway more on that front later. heres the latest pics ,I put the spitfire fuselage in the same scale next to it to give an idea of the size of the beast! cheers tony

View attachment 45701

View attachment 45702

View attachment 45703

View attachment 45704

View attachment 45705

View attachment 45706

View attachment 45707

View attachment 45708

P1100582 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100583 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100585 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100586 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100587 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100588 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100602 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100603 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

D

dubster72

It looks really good in white, Tony, almost like 50's anti-flash paintwork. And it's certainly not small!

Once it's done, send a few pics to the manufacturer as a ' before & after ' and show them how it's should have looked when you opened the box!

Cheers

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yep, quite virginal.....Whatever that means!

Nice one Tony, it certainly is a big 'un and top marks for the extra work you are putting in to it.

Looking good.

Hopefully see you at Cosford.

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
It looks really good in white, Tony, almost like 50's anti-flash paintwork. And it's certainly not small!Once it's done, send a few pics to the manufacturer as a ' before & after ' and show them how it's should have looked when you opened the box!

Cheers

Patrick
Cheers patrick , it would be quite an eye opener to see it next to one built out of the box , it would look like a different aircraft! Its such a favourite of mine though, i just had to get it looking right ( although , never again!!!!) cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks roman glad you like it so far , and Ron , see you at cosford mucker , wild hosses couldnt keep me away!! cheers tony

M

mobear

wow you are making it look like the jet,not a toy which came out the box

mobear

B

Buttonman

You have the patients of a saint, i'm getting frustrated with my fw , I think i'd have filed it in the big round filing cabenet.

cheers

Martin

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
At last, ive got a bit more done! The airframe has been sprayed silver , all the white sections being masked first.The aircraft was painted with an aluminium paint with only a few panels being in natural metal so theres just a few bits to pick out in a different silver , then its ready for klear and decals,and weathering/washes.Next job is the wheels , the kit ones are nothing like the real thing so ive got to make 8 discs to put over them . The trouble is the actual discs have 12 holes in them ,which ive got to replicate somehow , im thinking about making a template and spraying the holes on the disc in black , at this scale it should be ok. Here are the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 46874

View attachment 46875

P1100612 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100613 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking really good Tony.Your idea for the wheels sounds the best option.As you say its not going to really notice 1/72 scale.

S

Sky Raider

This is one i missed Tony, what a cracking job you have done mate. Its one thing building a kit but to modify it to the extremes to get it to be correct is another matter. You are a lot braver than me mate i must admit. I would have just built it or looked for another that is correct. Well done on some fantastic work and detail Tony.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Missed this for while but it is looking very good indeed, the effort you put into it is paying off big time.

Those wheel covers. If you scribe a circle with a divider, the half the radius on them and walk it around the circle you scribed before, you should get 12 even spaced marks to drill on.

Ian M

D

dubster72

Top stuff Tony, that's one sexy looking aircraft there! You must be feeling very satisfied with how this is looking after all your work on it.

Cheers

Patrick

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tony some great work throughout the whole build looking great, nearly at the end now. The idea of painting the holes on the wheels is a great one and should look fine

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for your replies .Heres the beast with the masking removed and a coat of klear applied to seal everything ready for decals and weathering. I sprayed the wheel discs through a template to simulate the 12 holes but had to go over the marks with a felt tip pen as they were a bit fuzzy.BTW , ian , thanks for the suggestion but the discs are only 8 mm in diameter i dont think my dividers will cope going that small , or my eyesight!!!LOL The next job was to drill a hole in the centre and glue a piece of plastic card at the back (8 times!).Once the disc is glued onto the kit wheel (you can see how wrong it is in the pic) it should look about right. cheers tony

View attachment 46963

View attachment 46964

View attachment 46965

P1100616 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100618 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100619 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Tony fantastic painting it looks really clean and crisp. Some nice detail going on there.

Vaughan

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
That's looking really sharp! I guess I'll have to build mine one day :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks vaughan , seb .,I'll be posting some more updates later , cheers tony