Being bashed ! Italeri 1/72 Tupolev tu22 Blinder

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wheels!

Heres a before and after with the finished wheel and the kit one. The plastic card disc has had the 12 holes painted on and the middle drilled out and a plastic card piece glued behind , the finished result is not exactly eduard aftermarket but itll do in this scale! All ive got to do now is another 7 !!!!! cheers tony

View attachment 47120

P1100623 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

M

mobear

yours look so much better than the OOB ones first rate

mobear

ps good luck on other 7 lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers ole , ive also got to alter the main undercarriage legs to make the wheels closer together , its never ending!!!LOL !! cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The wheels are now all done , so theres just the small matter of the undercarriage legs being wildly inaccurate!! As can be seen in the pics the kit legs are totally bogus! They are too wide ,the wrong shape and the wheel axles are too far apart, add to this missing linkages etc and its just something i couldnt ignore. I chopped off the dodgy bottom bit and made a pair of replacements with the axles in the right place , i will be using the kit linkages plus some scratchbuilt ones and a pair of scratched scissor links .View attachment 44093View attachment 44094View attachment 44095View attachment 44096View attachment 44097 The scissor links were made by folding a thick piece of wine foil in half then marking two lines on the fold , and marking on these lines the places where the holes needed drilling. Do this on a hard surface such as a piece of wood or mdf ,if you do it on a cutting mat it will deform the fairly soft foil. Once the holes are drilled all thats left is to cut out the link , remembering that youre only cutting one half . When cut and opened out you have a scissor link with identical matching halves , just be careful you dont cut the thinnest bit too thin (dont worry if you stuff it up- a single wine foil should do loads ,and theyre easily available and fun to obtain!!!!HIC!!) heres the picsView attachment 44098View attachment 44099

View attachment 47297

View attachment 47298

View attachment 47299

View attachment 47300

View attachment 47301

View attachment 47302

View attachment 47303

P1100626 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100628 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100629 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100632 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100633 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100634 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100635 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

First Name
Dave
Im very impressed with the wheels and scissor/torque links Tony.Your obviously a man with steady hands and vast ammounts of patience!.I look forward to seeing the finished model.

M

mobear

aircraft model designer tony! well thats what i`m calling you from now on,i`m just soooooooo impressed

mobear

M

mobear

looks like a proper leg and not the cheating one lol well done mate

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's been a while since I checked up on this and it is looking great. I really like the work on the gear.

D

dubster72

Wow that's looking so good Tony. Your replacement leg is way better than the original one.

Cheers

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's some fantastic scratch building Tony and on such a small scale! I don't know how you do it you must have the patients of a saint.

Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
What was i saying about the nose leg not needing much doing?!!!!!!!! It turns out its another totally fictitious piece of kit, so ive had to re-model it quite a bit! As you can see in the pic ,View attachment 44453 View attachment 44452the wheels were way too far apart and too far back, the scissor link was on the front instead of the back, the retraction jack was the wrong angle and shape, there are two struts either side missing , along with various lumps and bumps . Ive done all the alterations ,apart from the brake line which ill be adding next ,before a black wash and fixing the wheels on.View attachment 44454 View attachment 44455View attachment 44456View attachment 44457There are also a couple of pics of the main legs now theyre done, again with a bit of muckying via a black wash.View attachment 44459View attachment 44458The maddening bit is , the aircraft is virtually finished but the undercarriage has been holding it up (ha ha , i made a joke!) but now it shouldnt be long before i can get it completed. cheers tony

View attachment 47633

View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47636

View attachment 47637

View attachment 47638

View attachment 47639

View attachment 47640

P1100647 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100649 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100660 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100661 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100663 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100664 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100658 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100659 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

M

mobear

what you meant was undercarriage wasnt holding it up lol

apart from the bad jokes you is doin it massive,awesome mate

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I know the reason behind the hold up, you just wanted a '10 page build' didn't you ? You've done so much work on the undercarriage, which is looking great, this model is going to have to live on a mirror.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I know the reason behind the hold up, you just wanted a '10 page build' didn't you ? You've done so much work on the undercarriage, which is looking great, this model is going to have to live on a mirror.
AH , rumbled!!! you got me bang to rights colin!! Its been a long time in the build hasnt it though? I just havent had much spare time lately, i really want to get it done now, its stopping me from doing other things (CAC Boomerang , sopwith 1 1/2 strutter etc.) that i want to get moving.Hopefully i'll be able to get in the shed this weekend and finish it , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Tony just catching up on this,amazing rework on the landing gear!

B

Buttonman

Not seen a 10 pager for a while,

you do take this quite serios dont you or has mick sent you a load of pics to keep you busy???

Martin