Belgian F-104G Starfighter

F

Franck

Even though I said I would make the 1:72 scale Starfighter with my lady-friend after exams, that was moved backwards indefinitely due to us prioritizing traveling. To compensate for this, I bought a 1:48 F-104G last time I was in Aachen last Friday. I'll be making this now instead since the date for the smaller 104 hasn't been set in stone yet and I feel like making something.

So, here's the box the model came in (First picture below). While I'm not a particular fan of the "Tiger Meet" livery, the reason this particular one got my attention was simple; it was on sale for euro 10.99 (In other words, they were practically giving it away for free. My best bargain however was a 1:32 MiG-29 for euro 20,- courtesy of Trier's Galaria Kaufhoff.). So, this this model in hand, and a can of grey primer at home, why not?

As anybody would be when in possession of a Starfighter, I was excited and opened it as soon as I got home seeing as the busy train home prevented my from un-boxing it there. To my surprise, the plastic molds were an obnoxious shade of yellow, and that just wouldn't do. I brought the whole thing outside in front of my apartment's front door (at 4 in the morning) and started spraying the molds grey, the way they should be. After cleaning up after myself, I realized I had underestimated the spray's spatter and noticed the big grey outline of a supermarket advertisement paper in from of the door. (So far, I don't think anyone suspects me...) Anyways, the molds are now the color the model gods intended it to be (Second picture).

Now here's my question for you lovely ladies and gentlemen here on the forums. What colors would the Belgian camouflage green and brown correspond to in Revell enamels?

From what I've seen in pictures online, all 104's had the same camo scheme, as seen here: http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/60/pics/66_3.jpg

So, lets get this ball rolling! :D

View attachment 83209

View attachment 83210

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking at that profile Steven, I would suggest the scheme consists of standard SEA scheme colours.

Dark green: FS34079

Olive Green: FS34102

Tan: FS30219

Light Grey: FS36622

Revell Conversion:

FS34079 = 32165

FS34102 = 32145

FS30129 = 32382

FS36622 = No equivalent

F

Franck

Thank you very much! What resource do you use to find that out? If I knew, that's be one question less to ask you folks :P Anyways, I'll have a look and see what I've got here, otherwise it's time for me to go shopping...

I started it today and tried to get the cockpit painted. While it isn't a masterpiece, it looks alright so far. (First picture) I also messed around with adding seam lines on the wings and for a first time, I think it turned out alright. (Second picture)

The only issue I have at the moment is the fact that the other seam lines on the body and wings are outward instead of inward, so how would one go about further adding detail?

View attachment 83257

View attachment 83258

DSC_0378.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I use various paint conversion charts, a popular one can be found here http://www.paint4models.com/

F

Franck

\ said:
I use various paint conversion charts, a popular one can be found here http://www.paint4models.com/
Thank you, I'll put this somewhere safe :P

\ said:
Nice start, looking good ;)
Thank you very much! I usually don't paint so this is all trial and error :P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
The only issue I have at the moment is the fact that the other seam lines on the body and wings are outward instead of inward, so how would one go about further adding detail?
By that do you mean you are thinking of scribing the detail lines so they are all recessed? Or do you want to add some raised lines?

F

Franck

\ said:
By that do you mean you are thinking of scribing the detail lines so they are all recessed? Or do you want to add some raised lines?
What I mean is that I'd like to add more detail similar to what I did on the wings. The problem is, unlike the wings (where the seam/panel lines are recessed) those on the hull are raised.

How should I add the same seam detail to lines that are raised?

F

Franck

I was really excited to get going tonight, but then I realized that I lacked two very important things needed for me to continue... sandpaper and toothpicks. Unfortunately, I'll be running behind on my "schedule" since I'll have to hit up the hobby store tomorrow.

In the mean time however, I've added the nose cone, and it just added so much to the plane. It feels "right" now, if you know what I mean. (First picture)

On a side note, I spoke to my mother tonight and told her about my little project. She got almost as excited as I am as she reminded me (again) how it was THE plane when she was little girl, and it was one of the things that pushed her to pursue a career in the Royal Dutch Air Force, which she did. By that time, the F-5 was the plane to see, so at some point when I'm better at this, I'll make her a little dio of a Dutch F-5 on tarmac or something similar.

Anyways, just a quick update. :smiling3:

View attachment 83284

DSC_0388.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Steven, you can see that familiar shape now. Your mother sounds like a real enthusiast, great that she had a career in the RNLAF. The F-5 wouldn't have been as 'sporty' as the Starfighter but it certainly would have been safer to fly.

I'm still trying to understand what you mean by adding seam detail. I understand the lines on the wings are recessed and that he panel lines on the fuselage are raised. If I am understanding you correctly, you want to highlight them once the paint is done? Recessed lines are easiest to deal with if that is the case.

F

Franck

\ said:
Looks good Steven, you can see that familiar shape now. Your mother sounds like a real enthusiast, great that she had a career in the RNLAF. The F-5 wouldn't have been as 'sporty' as the Starfighter but it certainly would have been safer to fly.I'm still trying to understand what you mean by adding seam detail. I understand the lines on the wings are recessed and that he panel lines on the fuselage are raised. If I am understanding you correctly, you want to highlight them once the paint is done? Recessed lines are easiest to deal with if that is the case.
Yes, exactly. Highlighting them. This should be done after the body is painted?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You can pre-shade them prior to painting and after painting highlight them with a wash.