Bell X-1a

First Name
Mike
Straightforward enough kit from Special Hobby, the 1/72 Bell X-1A. Only the vague instructions and complicated undercarriage assembly offered any resistance. I did manage to craze the canopy by over-zealous use of a clamp, though.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Brilliant work Mike. No need to worry about the canopy, Yeager managed to smash it with his helmet after breaking a speed/altitude record and shortly after losing control and descending with high G loadings.

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Joe, I don't feel so bad about the canopy mishap now.

B

Bunkerbarge

A beautiful job. The different panel finishes works beautifully and how you got such perfectly marked panel lines I have no idea.

A coat of clear acrylic might just help to reduce the canopy crazing if it is on the outside surface.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Another masterpiece!

It never ceases to amaze me, what a beautiful finish you are able to achieve on your models!

First Name
Mike
\ said:
A coat of clear acrylic might just help to reduce the canopy crazing if it is on the outside surface.
Thanks Richard. I did dip the canopy in Future (Pledge) after it crazed and it helped a bit but the fracture goes right through the plastic. It's tiny, but visible in certain light.