Bent Photo Etch Fret

P

Pigboy

I have a problem. I have a new photo etch fret that contains assorted parts for a 1:350 scale ship. It has a bend in it from packing and moving. I opened it up and there was a bend in the middle of the fret. Is there away to fix it? Also, I would like to know if there is a fix for both aluminum and brass for I'm not to sure if it's brass or not for it is silver. Any help would be great. Thanks for your time and help and as always Happy Modeling.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It probably is brass. As for fixing it. I would try to fix the components individually, once removed from the fret for use.

D

Deleted member 5496

If you have a PA bender try that. Found it works as a press.

Stewart

J

John Rixon

Heating it gently over a flame helps remove the "memory", but be very sparing - it makes the PE much easier to bend, and too much will make it too pliable! If you have any old, unused PE parts, it'd be a good idea to have a practice run ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As the guys has said, heating can work but you have to be careful, the PE bender can work but again be careful. Other alternative is ask for a replacement set.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Silver coloured etched metal is usually nickel/silver. This is commonly used for etched locomotive name plates etc.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If it is just a soft bend and not folded right over I can't see it being a problem. If it is folded and flat, gentle heat and let it cool. Then unfold it as best you can. Then flatten the parts as you need them.