best black and white colured paints?

F

funkyrimpler

ho guys,

im only asking as i use tamita acrylics and i always have a nightmare when spraying these colours, in particular the white. when they are thinned enough for spraying they usually form droplets on my model and give a disappointing finish. gloss black and gloss white are the worst offenders and their white is so watery and transluscent that its very difficult to get a really nice flat white. Would anyone recommend any other brand in particular?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gloss White is a pig what ever the brand. Just spray a base coat with matt white and then mist some gloss white over the top when its dried.

If the paint is graining its not so much as a paint problem as a painter one. Either the airbrush is to far from the target, thus the paint is drying before it lands, or the paint is to thick and air pressure is to low, as this will also cause graining.

Have a play with the same paint mix but try adjusting the air and the distance to the target from the airbrush.

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

cheers ian. i only get this really get this problem when spraying white for some reason. White is also a pain to brush paint as it tends to clot even when thinned with windolene. i'll experiement with different air pressures etc as you suggest.

T

tecdes

Agree with Ian white is the very devil together with yellow.

I have had reasonable success with Vallejo Air. Vallejo do a good white primer & the last model I used 2 coats of primer which give a good & even depth. Did take 3 coats of Vallejo Air white to give a good cover. With the white Vallejo Air I used about 20% Vallejo thinners.

I am not a fan of using any thinners or primer but the one supplied by the paint manufacturer I am using. My philosophy is many things can go wrong & do go wrong but shorten the odds.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
White is a well known problem, well the gloss ones. Yellow is almost as bad. Fortunately the solution is often the simple one. I just use matt paint and Either give it a dusting with gloss of the same colour, or just give it gloss varnish...I am sure that you will find at least four or five threads on the forum's Painting section.

Which is where this post should be... I s'pose I better move it...

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have to say that as far as these "difficult" colours go once again enamel paints are far superior. They generally have denser pigments and cover better.

I've just sprayed a white band (which will be the basis of a blue-white-blue Reich defence band) and the yellow under cowling on my little Fw 190. Both went on with one careful coat over a grey primer. The white was good old Humbrol 34 and the yellow White Ensign's RLM 04.

Both are matt,I agree that gloss tends to be harder.

I'd post a picture but my image hosting site is down.....again. I'll add it later.

Like now!

By which time this has become a JG 300 band. Chosen for no other reason but I like the colours.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: