best off the shelf "RAF Azure"?

T

T. van Vuuren

I need to match colours to paint my rc spitty and will be soing desert scheme of dark earth/mid stone over azure.
I think humbrol 29 for dark earth
humbril/tamiya or xrtacolour for mid stone?
same for Azure?

Thanx

Theuns

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are several interpretations of all these shades Theuns. This is complicated by the effect of sun bleaching.

My advice is to use the brand that you are comfortable with and their interpretation. A wash, some bleaching and nobody can tell you that your are wrong.

There was a good reference for RAF WW2 colours done by Vallejo which gave lots of interesting information which also conveyed just how complex the subject is. They changed their interpretations of these colour recently with the new sets.... I dont know if their guide is still available as it is not in their downloads on the website.

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta Barry.
I cant get Vallejo here in SA :sad:
I might have to make a printout of the colour and have the paintshop mix it up for me. I know the Azure seemed to have a slight "purple" hue to the blue, I rather like this.

Theuns

First Name
Dave
The only time I painted this colour (on a Douglas Boston) I used Humbrol enamel no.157 .It looks way too dark when compared to colour reference photos.So I added white until I thought it was about right.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can’t remember what I used on my Desert Air Force Hurricane a few years ago … I’ll go rummage through my paint bottles and see what colour(s) in it seem to match the model — BRB :smiling3:

Some minutes later

Oddly, I can’t find any colour close to what’s on the model, so I’m starting to suspect I used a spraying can of car paint, because I know I have one in approximately the colour that’s on the model … which will be pretty much useless for purposes of this question because it’s very unlikely to be a good match for the real colour. I could go find it if you want, it probably has a RAL number if you really want to know.

T

T. van Vuuren

Car paint is a good idea, they jave huge viriaty of colours and maybe one will be close. I will go have a look :smiling:

Theuns

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I decided to check the can anyway, and all it has on it is the manufacturer’s colour number (Motip No. 45100), which their website helpfully doesn’t recognise, and I also can’t find a simple overview of all their colours on it …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t really know how close that paint is to RAF Azure, though. I used it mainly because it appears to come close enough to model colours that I didn’t have, but which various web sites etc. recommended for Azure :smiling3: