Better late than never..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right due to a new PC and all the bother that follows with such I had no chance to start the SIG Forum until today. Hope you are not going nutty looking for it.

I have Got hold of a figure so Will be joining in the fun n this one. This will be the first "proper" figure I have done since 'Enry VIII when I was about 10!!!

View attachment 35448

This is my victim a 1/16 Corry figure I won on E-bay the other day.

Well All I got to do now is wait for the postman.

Ian M

View attachment 39902

Black Watch.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmmm still waiting for the postman....

Still it gives me time to find out how it should be painted...

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
When I came home from work yesterday I found a card in the letter box saying they had been but no-one was home. Typical!

So I got to the Post Office today and sure enough it was my figure from England.

Here is what was in the box.

View attachment 35839 View attachment 35840 View attachment 35841 View attachment 35842

I s'pose the first thing to do is give it a bath and then repair a few small bubbles in the surface. I must say that the detail is rather good and hopefully the primer will make the next pictures I take a bit clearer.

So bath time!

Ian M

View attachment 40205

View attachment 40206

View attachment 40207

View attachment 40208

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

A

andygh

Looks like a fine figure and if mine is anything to go by you won't be disappointed with the sculpting

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Managed to find a colour picture on t'web of the type of camouflage this little chap will be wearing.

And there was me thinking "British late WWII. Plain drab uniform! NOT! Oh c#"p...

View attachment 35867View attachment 35868

Although a different period and not the same regiment, the Camo pattern is the same, the name of which I have forgot!!!

So being a chicken and new to this figure lark I have fixed the body parts and will paint it as one big part. I Know that paint then build will go totally wrong. It is a simple pose so should not be to much hassle....

Right now the Araldite90 is being allowed to cure 200% until I touch it again.

Ian M

View attachment 40228

View attachment 40229

soldier-allied-brit-korea.jpg

windproof smock and trousers.jpg

B

Buttonman

Try looking up denison smocks for a closer look at pattern.

hope this helps

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Martin. That is how I found the two pictures in my last post...

This figure is a Black Watch sniper so is not in a Denison but the camouflage is the same.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmmm, Just sprayed the primer. This has helped a lot with bringing out the detail. Unfortunately it has also enhanced the small defects. Found a lot more bubbles that I could see before the primer and this chap has either got the worst case of acne, this side of the moon, or a very dirty face. This is a shame as as we all know the face is kind of the main focal point of a figure.

Phut! He is what he looks like now that its not a few bits of light yellow resin.

View attachment 35891View attachment 35889View attachment 35890View attachment 35892

So my question is how on earth can I do something about that face!!!

Ian M

View attachment 40243

View attachment 40244

View attachment 40245

View attachment 40246

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, quite frankly that is a disgusting mould....I know these figures are not cheap and if it was mine I would send a photo or the head itself, straight back to the supplier and get a replacement or a complete refund...and not forgetting the return postage!

Why should you have to get over what is a very poor casting?

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I did think about it but one thing held me back. Although the figure is a Maurice Corry, this is a decomissioned figure, I believe that this particular seller has gotten the moulds quite above board but they are "Recasts" I believe the term is. I have spent 10mins with a burnishing pencil, one of those glass fiber jobs. Its gotten most of the crud off and a few larger bits where removed with a scalpel blade.

I will be much more observant should I order from him again. I "only" paid £25 for it. I know that original Corry figures sell for two - three times that.

So disappointed but not gutted.

Should anyone want to know the figure is from Foxwood figures off e-bay. I have not written them off but I will be more careful if I buy more.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I love painting camouflage. NOT!

Having got my colours sorted out. I am having a bit of a problem. Never thought I would say this but mixing brown to get a base, shadow and highlight is driving me round the twist!

The shadows are not that big a problem. Its the highlights! Just how do you lighten brown with out totally changing the colour?

It does not help that the base brown is also a mixed colour. (Burned umber and Mahogany with dark sand mixed 1:2:1) I have tried playing with the ratios but that didn't help much.

Any good ideas?

Ian M

A

andygh

Brown highlight? I'd try Vallejo English Uniform with a touch of red added, then you can further lighten this with Khaki

PS. Nice figure, shame about the face (sorry, I couldn't restrain myself :hammer: )

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the tip Andy. I must admit that that is more or less what I did but it just looked so wrong. So I did a make over and turned the dial down a bit. Looks a bit better this time. A few of the real dark shadows just got some dark brown.

Any how. Its got some dark pin washes to pick out a few bits and a flat coat. The Rifle has been painted: As far as a resin rifle goes I thought that it was a bit lacking in detail. So I made a few changes. A couple of sling attachments and a sling. Then to hide the fact that it was rather bent (!!!), I wrapped the barrel case and extended the actual barrel a couple of mm. As to the wrap being an authentic thing?

So what happened next? Oh I got him stuck together, had a bit of fun getting the hand holding the rifle to sit so that he could actually hold the darn thing.

His other hand was holding a small field shovel, but a) I didn't like it, b) I broke the handle. So I am after ideas as to what else I could put in his other hand. I thought maybe a coil of rope or some such.

Here is what we have so far and I am about to start on a base for him. Here in lies a problem. I think my plaster is to old. Mixed it last night and its still not set!!! A trip to the shops me thinks!!!!

View attachment 36469 The base for the uniform was easy.

View attachment 36470 View attachment 36474 Then things stared to be a bit more fun. Not sure if the colour blocks are to large...next time I will try them smaller.

View attachment 36471 View attachment 36472 View attachment 36473 View attachment 36468 Then came the bit every one hates the most. Including me. The face! If I may say so myself I think it turned out OK.

I will post a few more piccies later when the paint has dried.

Comments are more than welcome.

Ian M

View attachment 40718

View attachment 40719

View attachment 40720

View attachment 40721

View attachment 40722

View attachment 40723

View attachment 40724

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

J

John Huggins

Top marks from me Ian, stunning bit of work & yes the face has come out just right.

John.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Ian,

This is progressing really nicely.

The face is quite lifelike.

Must admit face painting is the one thing that has stopped me trying a figure.

Well done so far.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Tony.

There is only one way to find out. Give it a try. I am sure that you will get some help off the forum from some one that can do it well.

There is a tutorial written by sprayman that is rather helpful. And you dont have to buy oil paints either. I used Vallejo model color mixed with a good dollop of retarder. This slows every thing down and the paints behave much like oil paint. (without the smell as well)!

I have had to bin the first idea for a base. That plaster was never going to set up.

I have found an old trophy base and a few chips if granite and will work some thing out with that.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well lots of things happened yesterday, so I can now say that I am done, sort of. I might find a tweak or two over the next few days, but all in all I am fairly happy with the results.

The figure is painted with Vallejo model color acrylics, and the base with a mix of acrylics and pigments.

I still don't know what he should have in his other hand. I tried a coil of rope but it was not really right, so I am still open for suggestions on that one. For the time being he is looking down the hill and what ever it was he dropped and watching it bounce all the way to the bottom!

Hope you like. I enjoyed the challenge so much that I will be having another go later.

View attachment 36558 View attachment 36559 View attachment 36560 View attachment 36561 View attachment 36562 View attachment 36557

Black watch sniper in wind-proof issue. Ca 1945

Ian M

View attachment 40807

View attachment 40808

View attachment 40809

View attachment 40810

View attachment 40811

View attachment 40812

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian i think he should be holding a white flag of surrender because you beat this one into submission very well done and the base is fantastic a big 5

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A cracking paint job Ian.

Still trying to figure out what should be in his right hand, a shovel prehaps.

Nevertheless a great figure.

Tony.