First Name
Alan
Info on all marks of Bf109 including the E series

The 109 Lair- The Online Source for Messerschmitt 109 information

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The 109 lair is an excellent and well researched resource,you can be pretty sure that anything on there is pukka.

Those walkarounds,particularly the first one are very nice and show some very useful details,Thanks Allyne. There is a little bit of devil in the detail and there are some minor errors on both restorations,things you would not have seen on a war time aircraft.

The most visible is the painting of the propeller blades right up to the cuff. Metal propellers (as on the Bf109) had a strip,supposed to be 30mm wide, left unpainted at the base of the blade. According to the order this was "so that the mark for blade alignement remains visible". These two piccies I posted recently to show something quite different also show this to good effect.

It's a minor detail but noticeable at 1/48 and 1/32. It's very rarely done correctly!

Please don't paint the radiator cores in the undersurface colours either!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: On Fs and Gs,with a completely different spinner design this unpainted strip (I guess it was still there) isn't visible. An excuse for a nice piccy of one of Marseille's Fs.

And a random G (random because I can't find my notes to go with the piccy!)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

Very interesting to notice the wavy edge to the camoflage on the wing leading edge as well as the very rough demarkation between the two camoflage styles on the fuselage.

You can't beat a good photo!