BF 110 D-3 (Dragon Models)

S

sprayman

Just a repost of the photographs lost in the server change, hope to get the paint job started sometime today, as its "Early Finish Friday", thanks for all your support and kind words so far on this build.:smile:

F

Fenlander

Good to see you showing your pink cutting mat with pride again. I think we should have a Scale Models Forum cutting mat made in pink so that all members of the forum could have one to display their dedication to the site with every build picture they post....... lol

B

Bunkerbarge

I really like the chipped paint on the leading edges of the prop blades. How did you do that ray?

S

sprayman

The famous pink mat, my trade mark Graham...lol,

The chipped paint on the prop blades Richard is just auto aluminium paint( un-thinned ), dabbed in place with a very fine fine brush, working from the edges in.

Well I got the primer on, and placed the German orange in place, then will just mask it off when it comes to the body spray.

F

Fenlander

I just know this is going to be great, you can tell even now. An air of expectation surrounds this Ray, no pressure then lol

S

sprayman

Thanks for your confidence Graham.....no pressure at all then....lol...:please:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed. As a by the way the front of an airscrew (that's actually the side facing the back of most aircraft with the propeller on the front) tends to lose most paint. We're not talking chipping so much as scouring. This is often evident on desert aircraft. There are incredibly complicated aerodynamic reasons for this,or so I've been told,but I didn't understand any of it LOL.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

You have given me food for thought there Steve, many thanks, looks like I took to much artistic licence based on the images. May be better to repaint them. Its info like this that makes your next model that touch better.:xyxthumbs:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think yours look great Ray. That kind of chipping was common on metal blades (I have seen it done on wooden (composite) blades which looks a bit odd!

Chipping and extremely dodgy german shorts.

Scouring of the front of the airscrew on Marseille's machine. I've never seen this replicated on models of this aircraft,fancy a go?

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think in simple terms the season the 'back' of the props blade gets scrubbed of paint is that it is back of the blade which is the striking surface together with the leading edge. The front is, in effect in a vacum and suffers little from the air flow and praticulats in the air. larger objects such as birds, bits of junk from enemy air craft that get shot up and the like being to heavy to be blown away get to hit the front of the blade and damage the paint. Or so I figure from my readings.

Sea planes often have hardly any paint left on the prop exept on the front towards the hub.

Ian M

S

sprayman

Interesting info there Ian, Nice pics Steve thanks, may have a go at that effect.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's another one showing this effect on two visible blades on page 36 of "The Luftwaffe Ritterkreuztrager 1939-1945 - Hans-Joachim Marseille". I just tried to scan it for you but something ain't right with the scanner. Maybe later.

I'm away next week but now I'm looking I may turn up some more when I get home and start flicking through a few books.. I quite fancy trying to replicate that effect myself,maybe on a future tropical 109-F. Hasegawa's is coming soon.

Your 110 is looking the dog's danglies. It looks like a very nice kit too.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Thanks Steve, been able to get the exhausts done and put a blended base colour of RLM 65 and RLM 02, I hope later I can make a start on the RLM 71.

S

Sky Raider

Looking real good, cant wait to see this one finished, Nice work.

Andy

S

sprayman

Starting to look like a Bf 110 now, got a base scheme in place, just put a satin coat over it, then when dry will try and blend the colours in and take the stark contrast away away from the mottle, as it needs sinking in to the body as at present looks to in your face.

Last edited:
S

sprayman

Im happy with the mottle blend now, so here hows she is looking at this early paint stage.As always guys comments welcome.

Last edited:
S

sprayman

Thanks for the kind words and support Trey.

I would like to ask if anyone has any pics of the exhaust stains on the BF 110,so I can get an idea of how to simulate it.Thanks in advance.