BIG Bocage Tiger

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Ian, Richy.

The screws are simply plastic rod with slots cut into the ends.

This conversion is starting to get interesting now and I think the details will make a massive difference. With some careful painting I'm hoping to finish up with the definitive Tiger1 (for me at least). I've always preferred the late Tiger 1 and this is turning into a really enjoyable conversion. It's not too difficult and it's been done many times before but I'm enjoying non-the-less. If I have the time I may build a simple diorama base to display it on but this build is really all about the vehicle and the details.

Cheers

Paul

J

JFJ

Hey Paul,

Just looking at this beautiful big cat of yours. What scale is it?

Adrian

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Adrian

The scale is 1/16 - it's the Full Option RC Tiger1 from Tamiya. It's a large beast (about 50cm from muzzle brake to exhaust shroud) and it's quite heavy now with all the metal in it. Carrying it is a bit like carrying 5 encyclopedia around! Still not as big as the Armotek machines (1/6) and the absolutely massive 1/4 scale Tiger you can get from Mark 1 (oh for a lottery win!)

Cheers

Paul

L

Lancasterb1

Paul there is some fine detailing on this tank, How have you added the weld lines on there? It looks teriffic and can't want to see the finished tank! By the way thanks for all the info on Wittmann. Have a lot to look at now and will be starting a 1/35 scale Tiger soon. not as big as your 1/16 beastie that is for sure. Have you decided which tank this will be? 205 :grinball2:or 007. There is certainly a lot to choose from reading Panzer's in Normandy!

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian, thanks for the support.

My Tiger is going to be 222 the one used for the Villers attack. I've made all the mods so far to replicate this vehicle (although I can't be sure whether this machine had a binocular or monocular gunsight). I've got the decals for it but I'm thinking of possibly airbrushing the turret numbers and balkan kreuz on instead (at this scale it's a lot easier).

The weld seams are simply lines of putty and I used a bit of scrap brass rod to add the texture, but, to be honest, you could find loads of things to use as a suitable tool.

Cheers

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One step forward, 10 back!!!...

It's been 3 weeks since I last updated this thread and (judging by the pics) it does look as though not much progress has been made. In fact I've done quite a lot of work to the Tiger but most of it is remedial work for stuff I wasn't happy with. The turret roof for instance is entirely new. Yep, I revisited the entire thing - cutting plated, weld seams, the hinge manufacture - everything was done again. Why? you might ask. Well, there was a slight bow in the original roof which I was aware of but thought I could live with. This niggled me and had to be put right so all that work was done again. Another revisit was the position of the track hangers on the right side of the turret. These were positioned too far forward and were therefore removed repositioned and made good. The Zimm around this area needed slight repair as a consequence.

Now on to real progress...

I've installed all the electronics for the turret including the gun flash unit. This I felt was a bit too garish and so I toned done the bright orange colour of it by spraying over a few coats of Tamiya smoke. I feel it's now less noticable but the gun flash is still visible.

I've made the new track cable for the left side of the hull (Aber 1mm cable and ends from the spares box) plus the supporting brackets from brass (not quite finished yet).

The main towing cables have been put together these are Schumo items and have working mounts to go with them.

As you can see I've sprayed the completed turret. I've given it a little shading but the bulk of the work on fading, tonal variation will be done once the hull receives it's yellow paint and the whole thing gets the tricolour camo treatment.

The engine deck is next which again needs a few mods - turret ring added, tools repositioned and some alts to the rear of the deck. Once this is done it will be pretty much time to complete the paintwork and get on with finishing

Anyway, that's about it so far. Hope you like the progress.

All comments welcome

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 27474View attachment 27475View attachment 27476View attachment 27477View attachment 27478View attachment 27479View attachment 27480

View attachment 33320

View attachment 33321

View attachment 33322

View attachment 33323

View attachment 33324

View attachment 33325

View attachment 33326

Track Cable01.jpg

Track Cable02.jpg

Turret Roof Complete02.jpg

Cables.jpg

Turret Roof Complete04.jpg

Turret Roof Complete03.jpg

Turret Roof Complete01.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's a little update on the Tiger 1 progress.

I've got the engine deck to a stage where the tools can now placed. This required quite a lot of repositioning of things to turn the 'Early' deck into the 'Late' version.

I've also fabricated replacement side skirts from brass sheet.

Here's a few pics

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is really some serious building going on here. It looks fantastic. The reworked turret looks excellent to. (as did the previous version !).

Ian M

T

Tony161

Hi Paul Can I ask what you used to make the Patton for the zimm.It's a shame that the last lot of pics are missing.Looks like its going to be a cracking tiger.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

The zimmerit was first applied in small sections with a spreader made from an old plastic butter lid. After the milliput had gone off very slightly I then made the pattern with a screw driver with a 7mm head (on the hull of the tank). The Zimm on the turret (which is the broader and flatter variety seen on some Tigers - Tanks of the SS Schwere Abt 101 being obvious examples) was textured with a tool I made from a simple piece of 1.5mm thick plastic card. This was cut into a strip 12mm wide and long enough to hold comfortably (about 10cm). This is the roughly the correct size (give or take 0.5mm) for the Zimm at 1/16 scale.

If you do the larger Zimm on the turret please note that the Zimm on the mantlet is the smaller 'normal' variety.

Hope this helps

here's the missing pics (I did some house keeping with my Photobucket account and the links were obviously lost).

Once I finish my final 2 commissions (end of the month) I'm swinging back on to this BIG tiger and finishing it. I'm then going to look at producing some scratch figures and a back drop to depict a famous scene that was captured in a well known cover of 'Signal' magazine for the German army.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tony161

Thanks Paul btw pic look good and as for the tank cracking mate

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

It's been an awful long time since I last posted an update on this build, work commitments and other pressing stuff have kept me away from the model bench. But I've managed to fit in a few bits and pieces mostly work to the rear plate and the detailing in this area.

This is an update since last time:-

1. Built the jack support for the scratch built jack (a mix of brass and plastic card)

2. Fitted the rear fenders to the hull (scratch hinges work a treat!)

3. Made and fitted Aber exhaust shrouds (fitted with the same small bolts I fitted the side fenders with)

4. scratch built the mount for the central Bosch headlight - centre of front hull (made from brass)

5. Made a jig/support to enable me to work on the tank easily without damaging it (this is mounted on a cake decorating stand so it can be spun around).

This build may still seem a very long way from completion but really, once the rear plate details are finished, and the tools are mounted on the deck, the build is finished.

I'm using the Aber 1/16 german clamps photo etch to secure all the tools so this might take a little longer than usual. I've even managed to make the Aber clamps actually work (something I could never do in 1/35!). All being well, I should have the conversion finished within the next couple of months.

Here's a few pics...

View attachment 40716View attachment 40717View attachment 40718View attachment 40719View attachment 40720

Cheers everyone

Paul

View attachment 44388

View attachment 44389

View attachment 44390

View attachment 44391

View attachment 44392

Bosch headlight.jpg

Hinges & C hook.jpg

Jack & Mount.jpg

Tank Support.jpg

Tiger Rear plate.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking amazing it will look the dogs when its all painted... keep them pictures coming

geegad

D

dubster72

I haven't seen this build before Paul & I'm glad I did! That Tiger must look pretty imposing in a big scale!

The PE really adds to the realism of the kit, though it's got to be easier on the eyes than in 1/35!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks John, Patrick

The P.E. definitely adds detail, some might argue that it's a bit much on an RC tank which will take some knocks. What I've tried to do is add strength to everything at risk of being bashed - all the scratch build parts have been pinned and then securely attached via a drilled hole (rather than simply being stuck directly to the hull). Also, all the supports have been fabricated from brass and not plastic to maintain strength and all the brass has been soldered rather than glued. Soldering photo etch clamps (even at 1/16) is still a challenge but ultimately I think it will be worth the effort.

Thanks again for the interest in my build, posts have been slow in coming but it's getting there!

All the best

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Everyone

Here's a little progress on the RC Tiger 1.

Been concentrating on the deck and tools. I've managed to fashion wooden handles for all the tools and have secured everything with the Aber clamps set which I managed to get to actually work. The shovel and gun cleaning rods are completely scratch built as is the jack block - again from real wood. As you can see there is still a little more to do before I can prime everything, eg. the clamp for the C-hook needs finishing.

The last picure demonstrates how the clamps can be made to work.

I may revisit the jack block as the strap rivets are not centred.

Hope you like the progress.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Great tools there Paul, you're attention to detail is first class.

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow! Super detail there!

Love the brass work. Soldering PE isn't that bad once you get into is it. Doing a great job Paul.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Patrick, Ian.

The build is getting tantalisingly close to some paint now and although I'm enjoying the build it will be nice to get to the finishing stages.

Ian - soldering isn't so bad, the trick is in getting small working parts to work afterward!

thanks again

Paul