Black undercoat for white?

S

snapper41

I saw an article recently that recommended using black as an undercoat for white - like on invasion stripes, for example. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? Seems a bit odd!

M

m1ks

No idea.

When I've read build articles involving painting invasion stripes they've always painted a big block of white first then masked off the portions to remain white spraying the black over them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
When I've read build articles involving painting invasion stripes they've always painted a big block of white first then masked off the portions to remain white spraying the black over them.
And that's how I've always done them.

There's an old rule of thumb to do light colours first which has always worked for me. White can be a b*gger to paint/spray and achieve good coverage. Applying it over black,unless you are after some kind of effect,must surely make it harder. Applying many coats,no matter how carefully,will lead to other problems like paint building up at the edge of the masking.

I always apply difficult colours (white,yellow,red etc) over a white or light grey undercoat.

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

I think it may be to ensure that you get a purer white. Spraying white over a neutral colour may help to eliminate any off white shades where the undercoat colour is seen through the white. Just a thought.

E

Edgar Brooks

Absolutely ***** ridiculous; have you ever seen a housepainter paint a door black, before he paints it white? Go to any dealer, look at their range of house paints, and note what undercoat they advocate for white; I'll wager that not one will even mention a dark grey, never mind black. Gloss black makes a good backing for chrome, or metallics, like alclad, because it can make them more reflective, but it's just a flaming nuisance under white.

Edgar

S

Scuff

\ said:
Absolutely ***** ridiculous; have you ever seen a housepainter paint a door black, before he paints it white? Go to any dealer, look at their range of house paints, and note what undercoat they advocate for white; I'll wager that not one will even mention a dark grey, never mind black. Gloss black makes a good backing for chrome, or metallics, like alclad, because it can make them more reflective, but it's just a flaming nuisance under white.Edgar
I'm ****** sorry Edgar, did we hit a nerve? Under coats need to be neutral, black white 18% grey etc. now calm down dear, it was only a question :D

And BTW, I have never seen a house painter do anything well except drink tea and lean on things whilst sucking air through their teeth. :D

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
I'm ****** sorry Edgar, did we hit a nerve? Under coats need to be neutral, black white 18% grey etc. now calm down dear, it was only a question
No, "we" didn't; I just don't want a newcomer to the hobby to think that this is a viable proposition, and be put off the hobby for life, because he ruins a model.

S

Scuff

That's why the question was asked, no need to be rude about your reply. You may not be right! Consider a model the has been filled, I white undercoat will not cover all of the variations. A dark coat will, then maybe a lighter undercoat prior to the final white.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Shall we just say that black is most probably not the best undercoat for white and end this here before any more toys get thrown out of prams.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

well mr brookes, i work in a builders merchant and 95% of all undercoat sold is dark grey. beleive it or not most of these are purchased by actual painters... i was asked my boss to paint the external wall of our warehouse bright yellow (our company colour) this wall was approx 100feet long and 10 ft high made of plastic coated corrugated metal. unsure which paint i was to use for this, i contacted the manufacturer and they visited to dicuss the job..... guess what i was told..........very dark grey undercoat folowed by a coat of yellow gloss.

View attachment 39282

View attachment 43233

P281011_14.25.jpg

S

snapper41

For the record, Mr Brooks, I'm not a newcomer to modelling. I'm an IPMS member, local IPMS member, and competition winner. Does it make me a beginner just because I stumbled across something I hadn't heard of before?

Anyway, I found the article:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t47961.html

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
ENOUGH ALREADY!

Play nicely or I will close the playpen and you will be sent to bed with out your milk!!!!!

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A simple way to find out if it works TRY IT on some old/spare plastic any way its been fun reading this thread lads HAPPY modeling

M

m1ks

\ said:
And BTW, I have never seen a house painter do anything well except drink tea and lean on things whilst sucking air through their teeth. :D
Oh c'mon now, that is absolutely not on, Housepainters do not do that, they drink tea, eat biscuits and lean on things telling you how busy they are.

What you're thinking of are mechanics, I know I was one for years, believe me it takes considerable natural skill and training to hold a cuppa in one hand, rub your chin AND suck air through your teeth while shaking your head, all the while conveying a sense of long hours and expense to a potential suck..... erm customer. :rofl:

Last edited: