Block Copy/resize Tools/apps

First Name
Neil
Hello,

So I was previously using a Nikon D50 for my photos - nothing wrong with that of course, but I had the settings to save in medium as being an old camera it did not accept more than a 2Gb SD card so you could not take too many large size images. For Christmas I got a nice new D3300 - now this can take 4Gb cards so I upped to save in large/fine format as it can save many more at higher resolution.

The problem is that this saves the images as 6-8Mb - much too big to put here.

Does anyone have an app/program to automatically reduce the sizes - OK I can do it in gimp etc but file by file, I would rather just reduce them then play with the files.

The alternative is just to use my D50 and save at the lower format for the models which works fine too - not like it has any resale value.

Neil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont know much at all about cameras neil but i have to resize my pics so i can upload them to the forum . I use VSO image resizer , its a free download but the only drawback is every time you use it you have to close a pop up that says " this is free but you can buy the full program etc. " this doesnt affect the use of it , ive uploaded literally thousands of pics to here . I use the " resize to desktop image" option . My camera is a nikon coolpix , cant think of the model number. Hope this helps cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If I remember the D3300 only saves as a jpg file, if you are using Window the windows live photo gallery has an option to resize if you select the image but I have not used it, I have used the VSO image resizer but not for some time.

If you have the option to save as a RAW file the ViewNX2 software from Nikon which I think would have been free with the camera (it was with mine) allows you to resize the image as you convert to jpg

First Name
Neil
Thanks Dave. I think I can save to RAW, compared to the D50, it's very advanced :smiling3:

I do have a disk, it may contain the s/w - hey I do computers for a living, I never read manuals or check disks :smiling3: - but I'll make an exception and try checking it out.

M

Mark P

I use FastStone image viewer, it takes a little getting used to but once you do it is a fantastic programme! Free and no pop ups ;)

S

Stevekir

I have FastStone image viewer and it is very easy to use to display an image collection. I have every one of my photos on it. An advantage is that all the images are kept in Windows folders under subject headings, so are not buried in some software like iPhoto on the Mac. On disadvantage for me is that I record the GPS coordinates of most of my pictures. FastStone will preserve this info but only if the image is still a .JPG (that is, has not been converted to another format). I contacted them about this twice but got no reply, not even a s*od off. Still, it is a good piece of software, and free.

Here is a clip of one of my subject headings (about 2/3 size):Capture.JPG

ject headings:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
My camera lets me save 2 images, RAW and jpg, the jpg's I can save at a low res, don't know if Nikon's do the same.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
My camera lets me save 2 images, RAW and jpg, the jpg's I can save at a low res, don't know if Nikon's do the same.
They can, it depends on the spec of the camera. To my knowledge all Nikon digital cameras allow you to specify the image quality and thus file size for a JPG. The higher spec cameras have two memory card slots and you can save as RAW on one and JPG on the other if you wish.

S

Samer Ibrahem

What about good mobile camera with small studio u can made at home for cheap?

And u can photoshop your images and save it with kinda low res and high quality.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
The higher spec cameras have two memory card slots and you can save as RAW on one and JPG on the other if you wish.
Mine has 2 slots but even without that I can save both file types on 1 card.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
My camera is a Nikon D3100 (an earlier version of the D3300). It can take images as JPG; RAW + hi-res JPG; or RAW + low-res JPG. I don't use RAW for photographing models because the benefit of RAW is that it allows you to reveal shadow and highlight detail which with JPG alone is often recorded without detail (and it allows other sophisticated tweaking). Model photos seldom need that power but there is no disadvantage in using it (except for the bigger file sizes but SD cards are getting cheaper). For outdoor pics I always use RAW.

Looking at the superbly sharp photos posted by The Migrant and others, I guess they have a much better lens than the D3x00 range has in the kit as often sold (body plus lens). The correct lighting and using a tripod also contribute to sharp pics.

Modern mobile phones (probably not the bottom of the range ones) take very good photos.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Like Steve I can save to two slots, I have a D7000 and only shoot in RAW format as jpeg is very lossy.

You should be able to shoot in jpeg small medium large and fine, or something like that. If you want a small image just shoot in small.

As for programs I can't help as I run my images through a two step process in Lightroom and photoshop.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
As for programs I can't help as I run my images through a two step process in Lightroom and Photoshop.
I use these also. Both are very effective in improving photos, and it is interesting to see how Lightroom can transform a photo, like a landscape, including holiday photos.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
most cameras do this now, even simple compacts!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
My camera is a Nikon D3100 (an earlier version of the D3300). It can take images as JPG; RAW + hi-res JPG; or RAW + low-res JPG. I don't use RAW for photographing models because the benefit of RAW is that it allows you to reveal shadow and highlight detail which with JPG alone is often recorded without detail (and it allows other sophisticated tweaking). Model photos seldom need that power but there is no disadvantage in using it (except for the bigger file sizes but SD cards are getting cheaper). For outdoor pics I always use RAW.
Looking at the superbly sharp photos posted by The Migrant and others, I guess they have a much better lens than the D3x00 range has in the kit as often sold (body plus lens). The correct lighting and using a tripod also contribute to sharp pics.

Modern mobile phones (probably not the bottom of the range ones) take very good photos.
Its the lighting Steve. Even modest compacts have really good lenses, your Nikon has decent optics, plenty good enough for most photographers. What ruins 99% of amateur's photos is noise - frequently caused by using auto ISO, which is a nightmare. Auto ISO is there so's folks can point and shoot without camera shake, this often results in ISO settings of 3200!!! The shots look fine on a phone screen or screen on the back of the camera, but open it up in PS or Lightroom and they are all but unusable. A tripod and a light tent (some real good ones available on Amazon for modest money considering) or two decent photo lights will radically transform your skills! I NEVER use more than 400 ISO, if it means shutter speeds under 125th then it goes on a tripod!