Bocage Ambush 1944 Normandy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, while mucking around the house to rekindle mojo I snapped some shots of this old diorama of German Paratroopers engaged in an ambush in the notorious French Bocage.
It's one of my early dios which means it was pretty clean with very little weathering. I had just started to get serious about painting figures and hadn't started at modifying figures as yet so I worked on this ESCI set that came with cannon and crew preparing to fire.

B1.jpg

I think I did this in 1985 so the painting is quite ...gee...ugh...can't describe it but the camo was the challenging part to get right.

B2.jpg

Even the ammo shells seam line hadn't been scraped or sanded down. :confounded:

B3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpg

The real Bocage would have been more rugged with tall grass, brambles and high hedges...not like the well cut grass which I used fine saw dust to make as I hadn't come across flocking as yet.
More pictures to come shortly...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think I did this in 1985
...... when you were just a youngster then :tongue-out3:

It looks good but it does show how modelling fashions change along with how individuals skills develop. I wonder what you'll be producing in another 35 years.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, early twenties. True what you say...I can see the different changes of my dioramas as I progress.

Here are some more images... had fun snapping them.

B6.jpgB7.jpgB8.jpg

Would you believe that each stone is made? Rolled thick polyfilla...

B9.jpgB10.jpg

More images coming.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking great Richard. No complaints from me.

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I agree with Andrew Richard,
That looks very nice indeed ,
I particularly like the Splinter camo, that's VERY tricky to get right,and you made an excellent job of it mate, good stuff!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thought figs were great. Camo is tough. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking great Richard. No complaints from me.

ATB.

Andrew
Neither from me too Andrew although I cringe looking at it sometimes but realise its what I was able to do at the time. :smiling2:

I agree with Andrew Richard,
That looks very nice indeed ,
I particularly like the Splinter camo, that's VERY tricky to get right,and you made an excellent job of it mate, good stuff!
Thanks Andy, glad you like it Splinter camo and all. Looks okay but having seen a preserved smock the little lines were a lot thinner. Also darker and most were faded looking. Still I was quite pleased at the time.

Not too shabby at all! Great job on the camo
Thanks Neil...I'd rather it be a little shabby or weathered.;):smiling2:

Thought figs were great. Camo is tough. PaulE
Thank you Paul, tough it was that's why I haven't attempted another try. Eyes nearly went wonky just adding those lines.

Here are more images...last batch.

Close up of the camo...look how thick my lines were...

B11.jpg

The tree stem was a large root with little root veins. The foliage was lichen or moss that can only be found here in the highlands growing on needle pine trees. They're actually black and white and were painted green.

B12.jpgB13.jpgB14.jpgB15.jpg

It's the only diorama that I have never entered into any competition...don't know why. Now probably won't even bat an eyelid.

Cheers,
Richard