Boeing Stearman PT 17

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Ok, I didnt mention it yesterday, but I attended the Central Arkansas International scale modelers show yesterday (Sat.) In Little Rock, Arkansas.

I was able to meet a "card modeling friend" of mine whom I have spoke to for a few yrs now even though we had never met. And I got to see many very good models of all types of subjects.

The reason I bring this up is....they also had models for sale at the show. I shoulda known that going to a model show the day after pay day was a bad Idea......but, I didnt spend too much money, and I did get away with some really nice models of several aircraft including this old linburgh 1:48th scale model of a Boeing Stearman PT 17.

This was a really simple kit and it took me about 2 hrs to sand, buiold, paint and add guy wires and build a base for it to sit on.

Anyway, Here is the model:

Anyway, I picked up a US navy Goshawk (BAe Hawk conversion) as well as a BAe Hawk, an Avro 504 Biplane, a Hawker Hunter, and a GULFHAWK II, which is a modified F3F2 WWII Biplane.

I will post photos of them as I complete them.

Have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A nice model Greg,love the Stearman especially as it has family connections.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy WVMountaineerfan,

First Let me welcome you to the forum, we're glad you are here. Feel free to jump into any conversation that interests you. Give advice or ask questions and by all means, If you have any photos of your work, post them, we love to see other peoples work :smiling3:

Now, on to the question, on this particular model I used the metal wire from garbage bag "tie-twists". I simply stripped off the paper coating and heat one end of the bare wire with a cigarette lighter and "melted it" into one location on the plane, then I positioned the excess wire so I could get an idea of the length I needed and "snipped-off" all of the excess except for about an 1/8th of an inch. I then heated that end the same way as I did before and using pliers pushed the hot wire into the plastic in the position I wanted it. I did each wire like this until I had them all in.

Now this is just one way to make guy wires, my favorite method, which I would have done had I had the material at the time, is to use monofiliment fishing line.

I superglue one end to the model, then place a small "dab" of superglue in the place I want to attach the other end to. I then pull the fishing line tight and hold it against the 'dab" of superglue until it "sticks". Then I wait a few minutes to make sure the glue will hold and I snip off the excess as close to the point of cantact as I can.

Now for the fun part, I then heat the fishing line which is stretched between two points of superglue, with a lit cigarette (a hairdryer will work too), This causes the fishing line to shrink, becoming tighter between the two points.

After it tightens up, I am then free to paint the fishing line with black, silver or other colors of enamel paint.

This method is by far the best and easiest method for making guy wires that I have found. Being that fishing line comes in many different sizes (diameters), you have no limits as two what scale you can put it on.

I hope this answers your questions and again, welcome to the forum,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

J

jjetmec

Nice stearman. i just purchased the same models but with us army markings. i want to do the navy markings like yours. What decals did you use? Could not locate any for this kit? Paul

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Paul,

First allow me to welcome you to the forum, we are glad to have you here.

I have Three versions of this model, other than the one in this thread, all made by lindberg. (one being the version used in the movie Independance day with Will Smith, the other being an army version and then the navy version....all still unassembled). As for the decals I used, I used the decals that came with the model.

I dont know where you would purchase just the decals for this model, you might contact lindberg and ask about replacement decals, I am sure you might have to pay a small amount for them.

My other suggestion to you would be for you to look in ebay for "Boeing stearman PT-17". (Thats where i got all but one of mine).

Now they may not have one listed right now, but they do show up there fairly regularly. If all else fails, and you think you might like to have one of my unassembled models, I am sure we can agree on a price (including shipping...I am in the US), Just let me know and we'll discuss it further, I can be reached via email at GEEDUBBYA@prodigy.net

Have a good day, and again, welcome to the forum :smiling3:

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

J

jjetmec

Amazing Info b/c I have searched high and low for other Lindberg Stearmans and I have found several. The new issue i have w/ army colors (blue and yellow), Classic re-issue box w/ similar color and decals, very old motorarized issue w/ army decals, and the independence day version you have. Looked at vintage kit sites, google searches, e-bay, and i came up w nothing. Could you provide more detail such as kit #, what box picture looks like, etc. You have me very curious??? Paul. Also in USA

J

jjetmec

Amazing Info b/c I have searched high and low for other Lindberg Stearmans and I have found several. The new issue i have w/ army colors (blue and yellow), Classic re-issue box w/ similar color and decals, very old motorarized issue w/ army decals, and the independence day version you have. Looked at vintage kit sites, google searches, e-bay, and i came up w nothing. Could you provide more detail such as kit #, what box picture looks like, etc. You have me very curious??? Paul. Also in USA