Bohler 12 Volt Sword Saw.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
BOHLER 12 Volt SWORD SAW.

b69ff7a0.jpg

This is the revolutionery Bohler Sword saw,a hand held miniature sabre saw that really does the job it was intended for,the compact unit runs from a 12Volt DC power supply,also included at extra cost in the range of model makers power tools.

My first impression was why had a similar tool to this not been tackled before ? probably because the retail cost would have been too high,at around £49.99 this represents exceptional value for money.The first thing that I wanted to look at was the actual blade,or should I say blades because two blades one with the teeth in opposite direction are fed side by side into the chuck,these are locked with two small screws,the blades are prevented from splaying with a brass collet,the idea is simple but it works very well,here is a view of the blades in situ-

b6bab470.jpg

Make no mistake the potential of this tool is beyond even my expectations,and I could not wait to get ripping through some material ! firstly I attacked freehand a piece of quarter inch thick balsa,firstly starting with a pilot hole I then inserted the blade set it into motion,and before long was cutting circles and shapes of all sizes,just brilliant for internal holes of any shape,the potential of awkward access would really test this tool.

Next job was to try it on a piece of thin plywood,this is what I achieved within minutes-

b6db7a30.jpg

It ripped through the ply like butter.

Now for a test on plastic,for this application it recommends the use of some agent,I just used a dab of liquid soap on the blade and it happily took on the aperture on a plastic model cockpit opening.

To protect the blade when not in use there is a simple push fit cap,here it s-

b6f664c0.jpg

Well every serious modeller should have one of these in his or her kit,you will continue to find jobs for it to tackle,it saves a lot of time especially drilling pilot holes for conventional tools,never before has the modeller been given such a wonderful choice of small power tools,look after them and they will serve you well,put one of these on your wish list for your birthday,you will not regret the investment.

Notice to distributors,manufacturers etc,if you have a model orientated tool that you would like reviewed here then contact the webmaster. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________