Border Models 1/32 Lancaster

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Masking?

Ruhr-Express-2.jpg

The British used cellulose lacquers, but paint chemistry is not my field so, again, it's not something on which I can offer a useful opinion.

Edit:
I agree that those sections look primed. I don't know what primer was used, but Supermarine used a grey primer and this might have been something similar. This is what the structure looked like unprimed, and it is clearly very different.

unprimed_crop.jpg

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
When you are looking at these pictures chaps remember it is extremely easy to lighten or darken colours on a monochrome film by using red, green, orange or blue filters. See here to see what I mean….

Filters may well have been used on these shots to improve contrast, or bring out certain details, especially because of the slow iso films available at the time. What you are seeing as lighter or darker colours might have been manipulated by the photographer.

Superb set of shots though. Really interesting to look at.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not sure what to make of this.

766a2af190811576dc481ed96c0190bc.jpg

Was that area painted earlier in the process?

I have to say that in the images I have where the area under the canopy is visible it appears in the camouflage colour. 'Freddie' seems to be an exception.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This video may be useful -

You Tube

It does show rearward underneath the canopy - whether this has been repainted/touched up I cant say.

There are three videos in the series so far, the other two covering gun turrets.

Paul.
:smiling:

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I am following Nigel’s build on the net and will definitely use his ideas for mine it looks like the consensus of opinion is the nose and cockpit back as far as the navigator radio ops was painted black from the radio ops backwards was interior grey green
The turrets that’s another minefield some have black interiors some have green and some I have looked at look like bare metal / aluminium
There is also confusion over the radiators again green or silver and the wheel struts I’ve seen some pictures showing the bracing pair painted red
As for interior details I think you pays your money and takes your choice unless it’s a factory fresh so to speak it looks like the interiors were modified as and when circumstances dictated the handrails for instance I have seen 4 main colours Yellow ,White ,Green & Black but again in some photos if you look at the handrail a lighter colour can sometimes be seen wearing through the darker exterior
I don’t know if many of you were aware but back in 2010 Hachette Partworks released a 1/32 Scale Lancaster based on S for Sugar in a 125 parts it used the frame and rib method of construction then plastic stringers were added into the ribs to give the correct contours to the wings and fuselage
It had solid metal engines made up of about 10 separate parts plus the exhaust ports this was then skinned with very thin aluminium which you had to replicate the rivets using a pinwheel in so doing this gave the panels that canning effect that the new Border Models has but this was 12 years ago
Their colour scheme was black nose and cockpit then light green for the rear interior yellow for the handrails it was sadly lacking in interior details along the walls and had no radio equipment whatsoever but at the time it was unheard of for such a large kit of a Lancaster Bomber
I have attached a few photos to illustrate the design of this kit the extra wires hanging out all over the place was going to be my interpretation of adding additional detail

Regards

Colin
26684A7F-B2BA-4EA9-8DA7-8F42299651F1.jpeg2BBCF76B-27C4-4035-A5CF-51F628B912CB.jpeg5FCA49B0-A5F2-4E05-8F9F-27D915AE6360.jpeg98389C7F-71AF-44DC-93E4-684C4D178CE3.jpegCD20D4CD-5599-4908-BE14-7FAE55ED0BC5.jpegC540769B-D654-45CA-A34F-1FB57A1D7F23.jpeg

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So at present Nigel has stopped posting the Border Model Lancaster builds as in his words he’s been burned out by the research needed to get an accurate /acceptable interior colour scheme I know how he feels but you can only do so much before you have to say sod it it’s going to have this scheme and that’s it
I’ve just got finish my HMS Hood build been on that since November last year only 2 stages to go but stage 139 I’ve been on for 3 weeks now and still haven’t finished that so it may be some time before the Lancaster is started as I do 1 model at a time apart from the Titanic Partworks from Hachette which is a completely different sort of model in that you have build it in monthly instalments rather than the whole thing in one go as with the lancaster

Regards

Colin

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is going to be quite a build Colin. But with so many variations and unknowns as regards paint colours, you can't really be wrong - my lazy view, admittedly.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is going to be quite a build Colin. But with so many variations and unknowns as regards paint colours, you can't really be wrong - my lazy view, admittedly.
I agree.

You can only go with what you reckon to be most likely. You are not going to find a nice set of colour photographs, detailing your intended victim inside and out :smiling3:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Here’s an enlargement of part of 1 of the sprues hopefully showing the detail they have moulded into this kit
View attachment 458791
Colin,
I saw the images you posted soon after you made them available but I have just been studying them again, especially this one. The top part is simply amazing - I have been trying to envisage different side core actions to achieve this and I must confess I cannot figure out how they have achieved it.
Some kit!
John