Bowcat's 1/35 Tamiya M40 155mm Self Propelled Gun

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Korean war FANTASTIC kit and very good choice of period :smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: can't wait to see more

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always thought the little extension on the rear platform was very cool. Your gun came out great. Thought the winch was for the recoil spade but never determined how the rear platform was raised/lowered. Looking forward to your progress. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thought the winch was for the recoil spade but never determined how the rear platform was raised/lowered.
As far as I know, it just rests on the spade.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I think that's probaly right. Looking at the kit, the winch cable operates on the spade, the platform is hinged and just sits on top so is pulled up with the spade.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gotcha, I have a 1/87 ROCO one somewhere from the 60s, I'll take a look and see if I did it right, thanks. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s the sensible way to do it, when you think about it: the only reason to have a separate mechanism to raise and lower the platform would be if there are common cases in which spade would be at too steep an angle to allow the platform to be used. That seems unlikely with an artillery piece — you shouldn’t ever need to set it up against a slope to increase the range like you might with a tank used for indirect fire, for example.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you get bored with the wheels send them my way. Sad I know, but I luv hand painting tyres

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. :smiling3:

Steve, I cheat with wheels. Spray the tyres first then use a mask for the hub.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Paul, as you well know the ROCO version is a disaster and anything you do will be an improvement!
Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a near problem free build there Bob. :thumb2: Neat skills besides shaking the Tamiya box to assemble the kit is still needed but road wheels is always the downer for me. I cheat as well.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Richard. :smiling3:

Yes, it's gone together like a dream, especially after having just finished the Revell Tornado which was fraught with gaps, flash and problems.

On that note I started on the figures last night. Again these go together so well that with a little Tamiya extra thin in the gaps and a firm push, they self fill for a near seamless finish. :smiling3:
IMG_20181115_192815.jpgMVIMG_20181115_190955.jpgMVIMG_20181115_192656.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob.
Late in sorry .Just had already through, great detail on the front Hull and that she'll in the last photo, has to be the dogs :thumb2:
Looking really good, hope my SU 76 by Tamiya is as good .
John .

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers John. :smiling3:

I spent the extra dosh on the add on metal barrel which came with turned brass shells, so I can't take the credit for that one.

I built the Tamiya SU-76m last year, it was a lovely kit. There's a thread of mine on it somewhere around here.

Reactions: JR

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Looking awesome, just love the gun details and turned ammo - really special!:thumb2: