Braille scale fun - Vickers Mk VI

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Picked up this Airfix Mk VI Light Tank for a fiver the other day, so I've been mucking about with paint mixes trying to get Khaki Green No 3 and Dark Green No 4 for the two colour BEF scheme. Mike Starmer recommends Revell paints to mix these colours. I've only got the Humbrol equivalents so I used them. KG3 turned out a knat's knacker darker than Humbrol 159 so I could have saved myself the trouble! It's probably not correct but it's almost a spot on match for the one at Bovy. I used a pin to give the impression of rivets, and drilled out the gun barrels and smoke dischargers. Other than that I've done no extra detailing though I might add a shovel and a cam net. Time for shading and highlighting now.

_20180521_092437.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alex, nicely painted Vickers. Although I build armour in 1/35 scale now I still like 1/72 which I work with into my aircraft dioramas.

Neat...looking forward to the shading and highlights.

Cheers,
Richard

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Richard! Nearly done now. Just a bit of light weathering to do yet. Got to wait for the varnish to dry, and the super glue fixing the antenna to harden. I thought the bloody stuff was supposed to be instant!? I also toned down the green as it was too... well...green. Anyway, Vickers Mk VIB of HQ Sqn 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards, France, May/June 1940.

_20180521_221722.JPG_20180521_221536.JPG_20180521_221800.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very neat build Alex.
Esp like the the detail hs been picked out .
John. we

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The wash and highlights have picked out the details.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Alex

Very nicely done! The washes and weathering has really brought this little beautieee to life. Will you be putting it on a base?

Steve

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. It was a fun little build. Very little in fact, it's barely two inches long! Not exactly complicated either. The kit antenna was a stubby little excuse so I replaced it with a bit of brass wire from a rioja bottle. Useful stuff rioja. And I added a shovel that had been kicking around in the spares box for thirty odd years. I decided to give it the bare minimum of weathering, just a chalky wash on the tracks and a hint of dust. You're right though Steve, it needs a base. I'll have to see what I can do but I'm calling this one done for now.

Windy

_20180522_232818-1.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want one in 1/72, or a better-detailed one than the Airfix kit, I can recommend the S-Model kit.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Alex,
Brilliant, the finish is like the care taken of the early ones, all spit and polish.
Cheers,
MikeC.

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Nice job ,good to see a fellow brail modelers, I have built a number of s models and they are great.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. Glad you like it! Due to limited modelling time (and restricted shelving space) I only build Braille scale vehicles. Also to be honest I haven't got the patience for anything bigger! Figures on the other hand - anything from 20mm to 90mm. I've got a 1/72 Bedford MWD on the go at the moment, once that's done I'll be looking for another decent figure subject.

Cheers all,

Windy