Breathing in Gunk

N

Neill

Hi folks

Excuse the title of the posting. I was using my airbrush yesterday (for the second time since I bought it) and was spraying out in the garage. I stupidly sprayed then took my full face mask off about a minute after spraying (I did this at least twice). I only had the garage door open a small bit and a side door open about 2 thirds of the way. I was spraying a german three tone/mottle scheme so I was leaving the model to dry then returning after each colour and fear I may have breathed in Tamiya thinner and paint (more because I took the mask off straight after spraying). As this was a one off and the was down to my inexperience with an airbrush would it do you any harm?

My chest is sore now a bit but then again I did smoke for ten years and I think its more do do with that lol!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice as always.:mrgreen:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes, more likely the cigarettes I think LOL....

Seriously - I should not think that there is a problem at all. I have often sprayed Vallejo acrylics without a mask for short periods of time, though I do wear one most of the time.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Neill that is a very low exposure,never a good idea but not likely to have done you any damage.

We all get lazy over protection,I do wear my mask as a rule when spraying but have been known to spray small projects without. I do use a very well ventilated work area (weather permitting!) and have an extractor system.

SWMBO reckons it's a good job the kids are grown up or I'd scare the crap out of them!

Yesterday Gern (Dave) and I were having a play with various airbrushes and paint systems and didn't bother with our masks,mainly because we were to busy talking :smiling3: . Minimal spraying,wide open work space and an extractor/spray booth running means that I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
's a good job you didn't answer the door lookin' like that! I'd still be runnin'! :lol

Gern

N

Neill

\ said:
's a good job you didn't answer the door lookin' like that! I'd still be runnin'! :lolGern
Thanks for the feedback lads.:mrgreen:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
You look like a storm trooper..nice mask as well how much where from bud

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Take it from me Neill, this spraying lark is far too dodgy...........Get back to brush painting toot sweet!

If you should decide to play safe, here is a picture of me with a simple filtration system I use when brush painting......The hat and 'safety glasses' are optional!!!!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 51738

odds and sods 060.jpg

N

Neill

Hi Spanner

I hope you cleaned those brushes after them being up your snozzle box!! :thumbsup:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You look like a storm trooper..nice mask as well how much where from bud
It's by 3M and cost about 20 quid,which isn't much when you are talking about your health. I think I got it from HSS but wouldn't bet my house on it.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Spanner I hope you cleaned those brushes after them being up your snozzle box!! :thumbsup:
I can't.....I used superglue to hold them in position, the masking tape was only used until the glue set. By the way, A&E threw me out!