Brick colour

J

Jack10

hi never attempted a diorama before. Got a little Italiano church door diorama piece to practice with before I start anything . Here it is IMG_1646.JPG
I've got the grey stone looking' ok' but struggling a bit with the brickwork in the doorway...what colours do you guys suggest for creating the brick effect? Cheers

First Name
Ty
I like to mix things up a bit the brick. I choose a mid tone red/brown as a base. The I mix up at lease two more that are lighter and at least two more that are darker. I also add at least one colour that is a much different shade like brown or orange and throw a them in sparingly. Here's a couple I've done.

IMG_2447.JPG IMG_2448.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2476.JPG d1.jpg IMG_5932t.jpg IMG_5933t.jpg IMG_5936t.jpg IMG_5941t.jpg IMG_5957t.jpg

J

Jens Andrée

Bricks are a funny thing and the colour of bricks are a local thing as they can change in colour - and size - between two villages next to each other!
First you have to decide which range you want to recreate, by the help of images, and then just mix up a base paint and a couple of highlights/darker, and then end with a wash. Some brick types are shiny whereas others aren't but this can be done with varnish.
I've never seen yellow bricks been mixed with red ones, but apart from that almost anything goes.

Use google images to search for "brick walls" in the area you want to recreate to get inspiration, and a hint about colours and weathering. That's what I would do anyway.

Agree with Jack that the diorama from Tyrel is great! :smiling3:

First Name
Ty
Here are some nice examples of multi colour red brick. Depending on location, some of the brick is recycled. One building goes down and the brick is recycled into new projects. Makes for an interesting variety of colours Blacks, reds, tans, even greenish tones.15776507-red-brick-wall-texture-grunge-background-with-vignetted-corners-of-interior.jpg 27469371-background-of-decorative-red-brick-wall-texture-in-horizontal-view.jpg ac17ca193b739a441f68a46b457eb7a2.jpg coloured mortar(1).jpg images.jpg imagesCUUEN8EP.jpg