BRITISH 25 PDR. FIELD GUN & QUAD GUN TRACTOR CANADIAN FORD F.G.T. by TAMIYA - 1:35 - OPERATION HUSKY

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

75 years ago today on the night of the 9th/10th July the Allied invasion of Sicily began under the codename of Operation Husky. It was the Allies attempt to open up the “soft” underbelly of fortress Europe.

40 years ago my Grandfather, James Jones, passed away. He joined the navy at the age of 15 in 1931 and saw action in the Spanish Civil War, Dunkirk, North Atlantic Convoys, the Far East and Operation Husky. He was Yeoman of Signals on HMS Fishguard which was involved in looking after the convoys of supplies destined for Sicily during July 1943.

In memory of my Grandfather and all the men and women who took part in Operation Husky I will be building Tamiya’s Quad Tractor with 25 Pounder

IMG_0008.JPG

I was on Johnny Frost’s bridge at Arnhem last year and took copious photos of the 25 pounder nearby for reference for this build

DSC05712.JPG

The Kit

I chose the Tamiya kit as Tamiya are always reliable as far as construction goes. However they can let themselves down on detail and historical accuracy on their older kits. This will give me the opportunity to improve and add detail. The Tamiya FAT is the FGT version and is based on Cab 13. To help me do this I have two Eduard kits for the Tractor and the Gun. There are 4 sheets of etch so sunglasses will be required:cool:

IMG_0010.JPG

Also I have brought Aber’s barrel for the 25 pounder. As you can see this is for the later version 25 pounder which had the new muzzle introduced on it in 1942.

IMG_0009.JPG

I also have some Panzerart 25 pounder ammo boxes which I am determined to fit into the build somewhere.:smiling3:

IMG_0011.JPG

History

The CMP FAT (Field Artillery Tractor), was a Canadian Military Pattern vehicle manufactured by Ford and Chevrolet. Together with its limber and 25 pdr gun/howitzer, it was the cornerstone of divisional Field Regiments, of which there was one per brigade. These regiments prided themselves on both speed and accuracy in support of their infantry formations. It was used by the British and Commonwealth forces during World War II. Several models were produced by the two manufactures as CGT (Chevrolet Gun Tractor) and FGT (Ford Gun Tractor) and the specification was based on the successful British Morris C8 FAT developed before the war, even incorporating right-hand-drive steering

6d732f322d4626c99735c84d4b492aa8.jpg
(For discussion purposes only)
The first models were produced in 1940/41 and the body went through a number of design changes throughout the war. Being based on the British vehicle, CMPs were used extensively to replace lost stocks after the Dunkirk evacuation.
This particular vehicle type is commonly known as a CMP 'Quad Tractor', or colloquially as a 'monkey face', 'desert blitz' or 'beetle back' pattern Field Artillery Tractor (FAT)
The Quad had a personnel carrying capacity of 6; a driver, spare driver, and 4 gun-crew.

21145980384_c7fd742a52_b.jpg
(For discussion purposes only)
The 'beetle back' pattern was so named because of its distinctive sloping rear section, manufactured between 1938 and 1944. The unique shape was derived from a design to make the vehicle easier to decontaminate in the event of a gas attack. The 'beetle back' Quad is believed to be the only vehicle to employ this design feature.

Well it’s time to push off now and chocks away. The 82nd Airborne boys are getting ready to fly out to their drop zones in Sicily (By the way this was one of the largest tragedies concerning friendly fire throughout the war when 23 of 144 USAAF transports were shot down by allied ships and a total of 318 American troops were killed or wounded in the operation).

Plenty of tea and bikkies in the canteen. Toodle pip and enjoy the show

Steve

col68

SMF Poster
First Name
colin
I shall be watching with interest Steve I have the same kit in the stash.

prichrd1

Good job there's a picture on the box !
First Name
Paul
Steve,
Should be a good one - watching with interest.
This kit has remained virtually unchanged for the past 40 years - first one I built in '80's.

I have one of these Tamiya Quad's as a WIP - for the last 2 years - I will get it finished one day honestly :flushed:. Also purchased the Eduard set and DEF sagged wheels. Also have another two unbuilt - including the Italeri version.

Any custard creams in the box?????
Let the show commence!!

Paul.
:smiling2:

First Name
Peter
Steve

Like many of the guys here, I have fond memories of the kit when it first came out and look forward to seeing how your update it.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Looking forward to this. I built this a few years ago and used the same Eduard PE. That really raised the game especially on the gun. You have a brass barrel as well :thumb2:
I seem to remember that the kit did not supply anything to hold the spare wheel in place so I had to cobble something together. Also the interior was rather big and bare so I filled it up a bit. It may be an older kit but with your skills it will make a superb model.
P1000809(1).JPG
P1000827(1).JPG
P1000926(1).JPG

Peter Day

SMF Poster
First Name
Peter
Good one Steve. I remember when this kit first came out. I so wanted one, but my 50p a week pocket money never allowed it.

John Race

Plastic burner and member of the Rabble
First Name
John
I still have my Dinky version !
Steve this is a great choice, so front row for the OAPs , I'll have a tea and biscuits, toast ?
By the looks of the bllng I shall have to :cool: .
JR

rtfoe

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, there was a point in time here where these were collectors items but now are easily available. I fancy some pulled tea (Malaysian style if you have any) and biscuits. Sun glasses on.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

I am very humbled by the gathering. Nice to see some of you are familiar with this old classic from Tamiya. I hope I can do it justice

Colin - I hope it inspires you to give it a go:thumb2:
Jon - I hope I can use a lot of it:cool:
Paul - The DEF wheels are still sailing around the globe from Japan. Hopefully they will arrive soon:smiling3:
Peter - Great to have you along. Hope you enjoy the madness
Jim - Terrific work my friend. Still no thoughts on the spare wheel yet. Looking forward to tackling that part. Great cab inside:thumb2:
PDiddy - Showing your age now sir:smiling3:. I only had 5p a week pocket money which brought me 4 black jacks per penny
JR - That was one of my inspirations. My Dinky version was well worn. Sadly never to be seen again
Richard - The moulding looks the same with plenty of improvement options

I have decided to start on the doors for no reason other than the fact I am working inwards towards the cab. Firstly the injector marks have been filled. A new lock is being made and a latch has been added. The PE handle was moulded around a rod and mounted on a small disc.

ff.JPG

Further detailing to come. Thanks for watching

Steve

John Race

First Name
John
Oh sure you will Steve. See your off to a good start.

5p Pocket money......... I got 1 groat :flushed:
JR

Jim R

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Already adding your trademark extra details :thumb2:
Jim

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

JR - What's a groat? Sounds like a goat with attitude:smiling3:
Jim - And more to come!:smiling:

Still working on the doors. The lock was finished on both sides..25mm strips were put above the .5mm lock to give a raised look. A small slide bolt and plate was added with rivets. Finally the handle was added with 5mm wire. Still more to do on the inside but there are just not enough hours in the day

IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

Thanks for watching

Steve

First Name
Si
Hi Steve,

Looks like your busy tarting up a golden oldie again....should be a good watch. Nice work so far mate:thumb2:
I built one of these yonks ago...did such a bad job I let the kids have it for their toy box:smiling5:

I’m dare say yours will be light years ahead of my attempt :smiling4:
Si

John Race

First Name
John
Young Man .
For your deification a groat is a now long - defunct coin from Edward the 1st's reign .
Please ask Mrs Jones to beat you about the head with a broom .
Yours
JR

minitnkr

SMF Poster
First Name
Paul
Excellent silk-pursery. Thought a groat was the hulled kernals of a grain. Maybe that's why the coin name. Worth very little? PaulE

Jim R

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
The detailing of the doors is already a top job.
Jim

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Si - By the end of this build they may have one each to play with:smiling3:
Old Man - If you had 1 groat pocket money and you say they were around in Eddy the first's reign, that makes you about 740ish. I must say you are looking very good my leige:smiling5:
Jakko - I will leave that one to Kermit:smiling::tongue-out3:
Paul - Sounds good to me:thumb2:
Jim - Thanks mate. I wish I had the time to finish them. Maybe at the weekend
Mick - Great to have you along. I hope all is well

Great banter guys. Hopefully the build will be just as good

Many thanks

Steve

Last edited: