British Infantry Sudan

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ian
Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like the poem.

Hi Peter
Don’t know about sublime, but they came out pretty well. Agreed ref Sudanese heat, must have been a nightmare in all that kit though. I just have to put up with teeshirt, shorts and a paintbrush LOL.

Still not over keen on acrylics as paint, even after several years use, to be honest. Especially when working in the heat. The paint is either like water or like cream cheese. Might have to reinvent the ice palette if the heat continues.
I’ll stick with acrylics though, it’s a balance of quick drying, ease of use, and odour free against better flow characteristics and blending ability of original Humbrols.
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Steve....just in case I’ve misunderstood your post though, the poem was by Rudyard Kipling, not me, LOL. Look up the barrack room ballads, they are still relevant today.
Cheers
Tim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Figures look really great Tim, nice to see that the backpacks and drum are in brighter colours to break-up the monotone camo shade.:thumb2::smiling:
Looking forward to see the rest of the squad.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Fenando, glad you like them. This set has a few options that can be used for uniform colour. West Kent regiment, for example, had Red jackets, dark blue trousers and khaki puttees. Rifle regiments had black straps, marines had blue clothes and white kit and helmets, etc...
Plenty of variety in a Victorian British colonial force?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tim,
I'm late to the show but happy to say better late than never. Your figures look great. I don't have much experience with British Colonial Forces but the old movie ZULU comes to mind. Would these be from around the same period? Loved the ditty about Tommy Atkins, got any more?
Regards,
Rick H.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I have some Victrix Romans to paint up, they do look very nice, just need some time :smiling::smiling:
Warlord games also do some nice WW11 stuff which paints up nice, I did a couple of Germans I picked up very cheap.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim .
The master of the 28 th scale. Love those colors.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Rick
Thanks for the compliment. These guys are similar to the Zulu war troops, but have several key differences. Zulu war was 1879, and the troops had red coats, blue trousers, and older pattern kit in white. The Sudan conflict ran from 1881 to 1899. Kit was slightly more modern, thought some of the Idia troops had older kit, and uniforms were red, grey, khaki (light, from India) and khaki (darker, from UK), all in all, a good mix and loads of choices to pick...even Guards on camels...
For the ditty, look up Rudyard Kipling, he makes really good cakes, and even better poetry.....
There are some Mahdists on here somewhere, look for Ansars on a postcard.
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Mick
It would be good to see the Victrix Romans blogged.....
I’ve not tried warlord stuff, all my WW2 are 20mm, mostly Blitz or FAA miniatures.
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Nice to see you here, don’t know about master though, perhaps mastering would be closer to the truth....
Cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Tim great work, I have know idea how you paint these small chaps :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: brilliant.
Pete.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Pete
The answer is very carefully LOL. Actually it’s mostly smoke and mirrors. I use washes, dry brushing and wet brushing quite often, and the edge of the brush probably gets used as much as the tip....I’m not really a very tidy painter.
Flesh, for example, is painted a flesh colour, then highlighted on the points and forehead etc, then given a Vallejo flesh was which brings them to life...you can’t use 1/35 or bigger techniques or you simply wouldn’t complete enough for gaming. These took about an hour and a half each, including assembly and priming.
Cheers
Tim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have to say it again Tim - they are just wonderful. They are so inspiring. Wonderful to see mate. Great stuff:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Steve
Really appreciate the support...
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Heat has sapped the mojo on this, but I've been plodding on slowly.....all twelve are now glossed and matted and are ready for basing.....
P1040449.jpg
P1040450.jpg
Bugle boy from company B......did this one with white webbing just for a contrast from the rest of the unit.....
P1040451.jpg
P1040452.jpg
Pot that fellow somebody.....
P1040456.jpg
P1040455.jpg
Glengarry blue hat....
P1040453.jpg
P1040454.jpg
Damned cheek, it was time for tiffin......
I'll post the associated Kipling later, time for tea now....
Hope you like 'em doncha know...
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• P1040455.jpg
    P1040455.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
I am not surprised that the heatwave does not suit this kind of work.
Those little men are totally amazing. You have certainly mastered this aspect of the hobby.
Jim