Broken car window.... help needed!

C

Curtis

So, I'm removing my front windscreen for my tamiya vw beetle from the sprue and snap! I now have two halves of a window.

Anyone else done this, and how did you overcome it?

If I can't manufacture a good looking window from some household item/waste then I might experiment and try create a crashed vehicle....

P.s. I hope I've chosen the most appropriate board to post this thread on!

View attachment 49109

IMAG140318563473.jpg

Last edited:
P

phalinmegob

should be able to make yourself one out of chunk of clear plasticard , i would try gluing the old one back together and then put clear plastic over it and apply some gentle heat from a hairdryer to get the gentle curve in it. worth a try i suppose but maybe someone else has a better idea.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Curtis, have you got a shirt still in it's wrapper? If so get the clear plastic collar stiffener out of it.....I made a complete windscreen to replace my garbage 1/35 Revell Unimog one, which was nowhere near a fit. Works a treat!

Cheers,

Ron

H

hoggatt

you could have almost made it a split screen :smiling3: , good luck with replacing it mate

shane

C

Curtis

I might as well glue it back together but doubt it will look very good. that's a good idea Ron, I don't have the plastic bit from a collar but we have some of those plastic takeaway tubs which I'm going to try and use.

luckily this windscreen doesn't really have a curve in it so should make it slightly easier to make

C

Curtis

almost Shane! its a shame the wipers aren't longer because I could of covered the crack up with a window wiper!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Curtis, that's cheating!lol

Be aware of those takeaway tubs.....Some are too brittle and tend to crack when they are cut.

Ron

C

Curtis

Haha, Id rather call it improvisation lol

Will let you know how the takeaway tub goes, going to have a bash at it now.

H

hoggatt

You could get a laminator and the blank sleeve, put the blank sheet through and then cut that to shape? Does that make sense?

C

Curtis

That makes sense Steve sounds like a good idea but I have no idea what I've done with my laminator since moving house!

Anyway, I found some clear plastic packaging from a kids toy and have managed with that. Probably not up to the standards of you guys, but it'll do for me!

Pictures will be up when I complete the model either tomorrow or thursday no doubt.

Thanks for all the suggestions!