Bronco Chinese PLAAF J10/J10A "Vigorous Dragon Fighter 1/48 Fb4004

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well the postie brought me my next project this morning as the title suggests.

It's going to be my entry for the modern fighter GB build Jan- April 2016.

What dominions about this Jet or Model? Not a dicky bird

So you will all be in on this as a new experience if out wish to watch.

Well what about the J10, I can only put what Wikepedia say about it:-

The Chengdu J-10 (simplified Chinese: 歼-10; traditional Chinese: 殲-10, Known in the West as the "Vigorous Dragon", or by the NATO Reporting NameFirebird) is a lightweight multirolefighter aircraft capable of all-weather operation, configured with a delta wing and canard design, with fly-by-wire flight controls, and produced by the People's Republic of China's Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) for the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF). The Pakistan Air Force is the only export customer for the J-10.

From my little readings of it it seems to be in direct response to the Russian Mig 29 and Sukoi Su 27 and the Ameicans F15 and F16

It is reported that the radar system on the J10 is superior to that of the Eurofighter/ typhoon and weaponry is equivelant if not superior ( no bad on the Eurofighter )

The kit

The box art shows a pair of J10 inflight and Bronco artists look accurate. In the box you get everything in one bag with paperwork.Once in the bag you get 11 sprues that are individually bagged. A PE part for seat belts and a brass pitot tube. And decals ( all in their own bags and plastic seal)

The mouldings are of light grey medium soft plastic and very minimal flash if any. Crisp detail throughout ( and lots and I mean lots of ordinance )

A instruction booklet of how to put it together ( I hope I don't destroy this kit) This instructions give you paint options Gunze Sangyo/ Hobby Color/ Humbrol/ Tamiya ( gives a good range of help there?

A full fold out of colour pics of the two options you can create ( both Chinese )

The decals are in 2 pages with lots of numbers ( iddy widdy decals ) this is going to be a test to say the least.

Ok the sprue shots, sorry couldn't get all of the booklet in but il put up more pics as we go along

Enjoy and all comments positive or negative or tips would be helpful

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is one sprue but you get two identical to this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Aah this looks familiar robert! Apart from the fuselage and canopies/ cockpit its identical to my kit , one thing to watch out for - the PE belts are VERY fragile , the lap belts are held onto the buckle by the tiniest of contact points , i broke both mine off while trying to fit them so be careful at this stage of the build. Looking forwards to seeing this , cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Fuselage shot as I forgot this on the last post

Thanks Tony for the good words

Do you have the two seat version/ trainer.

This is the single seat fighter version

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I have to wait according to John 4 was for my new compressor coming in so all I can do for the moment is make up some little individual pieces and then spray spray spray once I get it.

The kit looks very interesting and some pieces are very small so will take extra care that the carpet monster don't get them.

I'm very impressed with the quality of detail in the whole kit and the weaponry looks wow

I'm not sure which version to do or which camo to choose ( I quire like the two tone which looks like a little like Russian camo

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well it's starts

I took the pieces off the sprues for the ejector seat 5 pieces cleane them up, dry fitted and they go together easy ( not much glue needed )

Will paint up and detail after

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now what I'm dithering over is what Theme I'm going to portray it In

I've have two options:-

Chinese PLA AF J10 (02)

Or do I do her in

CHinese No 50556

I would like some thought on this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

For me Robert,I would like to see the two tone camo.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
For me Robert,I would like to see the two tone camo.
I'm looking in that direction myself but I wanted a view of what others would like to see

So that's you my wife and me for the camo

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just read Grahams build about the seam line on the canopy!

I've never done this so am I going to have problems with this as my canopies have the centre seam down on both open and closed

I'll need help and guidance on this part

Any suggestions on what I need to get ?

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Right last night I spent time painting the ejector seat and also putting the pe seat belt in and the lap strap snapped off but I rescued it and well it's all painted up.

I chatted with (Yak face) who is doing the two seater version and got tips on the decals for the cockpit tub and with the raised detail the decals went down a treat.

It's about 80% complete needs a bit of weathering and I need to install the front display ( will gloss tip the screens to represent glass.

I also did the entry exit ladder ( every rung has to be placed in situ and well this looks good IMHO

Trying to do as much as possible before my comp arrives and I can then spray!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Great cockpit Robert & that access ladder is very well done

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The cockpit lpoks great robert , i had exactly the same problem with my pe belts .the ladder looks great but i bet it was fiddly , ive got two to do though !! Cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice work on the pit. I would go for the PLAAF colour scheme.
Two Tome for you then Ian ( I'm liking this colour scheme over plain ghost grey

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
That's the office finished and throttle lever added also,been working in the air duct intake and front air fan and that's been painted ( all with brush ( flat humbrol said are good as they leave little mark if the paints thinned down and built up glossed the screens ( you can't tell by pics but they do shine image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg