Bryans' Trumpeter King Tiger 1:16 (2 in 1)

B

Bryan Cox

As a relative late starter to modelling in general I originally "enjoyed" building wooden ships from kits, but was always frustrated by the small scale and therefore lack of detail these kits generally offered. I'm a lover of detail in models. There are one or two larger scale "sections", but I'd exhausted them all.

So I turned to the dark side! Plastic kits!!

The wealth of detail offered by such kits is enormous of course, and it wasn't long before I discovered the bestial 1:16 scale kits offered by the likes of Trumpeter. I previously built the Type 4 Medium Tank, but didn't take enough photos to warrant a build log.

Now I've lashed out (quite a big lash!) and acquired the Trumpeter King Tiger, the 2 in 1 version - you are offered a choice, within the kit, of either of two types of turret, Henchall or Porche - I shall decide when I get there!

The detail it offers is little short of amazing, but equally amazing is the fact very little of it will be seen when the kit is complete. I intend trying to do something about that...

First the (enormous) box, with a glimpse of the contents;

Tiger-001.jpg
Tiger-002.jpg
Tiger-003.jpg
Tiger-004.jpg

B

Bryan Cox

Sticking to the manual, the first thing to do are the road wheels. I'm perfectly aware I won't be putting them anywhere near the model for ages yet, but I did 'em and I bagged 'em. It took me forever to locate the little soft plastic "poly caps" (shown on their own sprue in the photo). I assume their purpose in life is to facilitate easier movement of the wheels when the kit is complete, though I don't envisage pushing it around the floor anytime soon. No real problem here apart from keeping an eye on which is which - there are two completely different sets of road wheels, three if you include the drive wheels. Shown awaiting cleaning up are two pairs that click together to make one wheel. When thats done its a firm fit, they don't need any glue!

Tiger-005.jpg

I primed them before completing the wheels.

Tiger-006.jpg

The two lower hull sides are now assembled. Several pieces are made and added to the sides before its primed and painted. No problems experienced, although you have to pay attention in keeping the orientation of the completed parts correct. The drawings in the manual seem very good and spot on for establishing things like orientation of parts.

Tiger-009.jpg

Primed when complete,

Tiger-010.jpg

...and painted. (Note that elsewhere on the forum, or another build log somewhere, someone advised cutting off the tab inside the hole where the drive wheel axle fits i.e. far right of the upper side shown above, and far left on the lower. Don't! Its a locating lug for the drive axle, and you'll be in trouble if remove it)!

Tiger-011.jpg

At this point I wished I had also painted the additional detail like the "boxes", as its almost impossible later. The brake drums(?) are painted black (as the manual indicates), but it can hardly remain pristine black as the airbrush will be used on parts close to them later. Note I also painted the hydrolics (above) a shiny white (Mig.Ammo aluminium I think). It actually looked a little amateurish, and elsewhere I read they were painted completely red anyway, so I did likewise.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

I'm glad someone is building this kit! It's one I hopefully plan to do as my 2nd Tiger B build later this year.

You've made great progress so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one.

With regard to the tab, I think that's for the idler wheel, not the drive sprocket. On a real Tiger, this was adjustable & so some people have cut off the tab in order to allow for some leeway when fitting the tracks.

B

Bryan Cox

Thanks guys. Yes its a great kit, and I'm really enjoying myself. I'm hardly a great modeller, but I'm certainly enthuisiastic! Regarding the tab on the idler wheel apature Dubster (you're quite right, it is the idler wheel, a momentary lapse of reason on my part!); I don't doubt you're also right about the reason people remove the tab, however closer inspection reveal the axle has two notches, not one, and the intention I assume is to allow two different configurations, one with the shaft fixxed at 25 to, and another with it at 5 past!

axle.jpg

I hope the photo explains it better than I did.

Mr Bowcat, being a relative newcomer I wasn't aware of the KT group build. I'll definitely investigate, but does it mean I'll have to repost everything into a topic on that group, or do you think a simple redirect link will suffice?

Thanks again.

B

Bryan Cox

Continuing I started "populating" the lower hull bottom. Things get tricky here with misunderstandings and mis-positioning all too easy. Its a question of patiently translating the manual (as in understanding the drawings, not the language, as of course, there's precious few words). The gear lever sub assembly was very tricky, and the result hardly satisfying, but I did make good later.

Tiger-012.jpg

Tiger-013.jpg

When satisfied I airbrushed the lot Mig Ammo "Rotbraun". And it took a lot of it!

Things then got interesting as I added, and painted, in lots of lovely detail.

Tiger-014.jpg

I really enjoyed doing the firewall, but it doesn't photograph as good as it actually looks.

Tiger-015.jpg

The drivers seat was wonderfully complicated!

Tiger-016.jpg

When painted and fitted things really began to look something like. A good colour wash and later a coat of satin varnish helped emphasise the detail.

Tiger-020.jpg

I'll have to do something about the wash on the seats though!

Tiger-022.jpg

The engine housing side panels (below) are only dry fitted.

Tiger-021.jpg

Lovely and oily! I think I've perhaps overdone the black wash (!), but I'm happy enough with it.

B

Bryan Cox

In case it appears I work at enormous speed I should say a lot of the build was complete before I started posting the build. However with the above postings I am now completely up to date, and there will be a definite slowing down of submissions from now on!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bryan, I'm sure a link to this thread would be fine, or maybe a mod can move it for you. :smiling3:

Bob

Edited to add: Nice weathering by the way.

D

dubster72

I did wonder about how quickly this was going together Bryan! ;) looking good so far - you might want to check out the build of this kit over on Britmodeller.

I know the chap has overcome some unexpected problems, which could be helpful.

B

Bryan Cox

I did wonder about how quickly this was going together Bryan! ;) looking good so far - you might want to check out the build of this kit over on Britmodeller.

I know the chap has overcome some unexpected problems, which could be helpful.

Thanks Dubster, yes my posts will slow dramatically from now on! Went over to Britmodller and got hoplessly lost and anyway distracted. I did find one similar build but didn't notice any major problems of interest, but then, as I said I did get distracted.... if its no trouble and it does seem pertinent, can you give me the page URL for it please. No problem if you're too busy or anything.

D

dubster72

Thanks Dubster, yes my posts will slow dramatically from now on! Went over to Britmodller and got hoplessly lost and anyway distracted. I did find one similar build but didn't notice any major problems of interest, but then, as I said I did get distracted.... if its no trouble and it does seem pertinent, can you give me the page URL for it please. No problem if you're too busy or anything.

Not a problem, I've got it bookmarked

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940975-trumpeter-king-tiger/

Although it's a long thread, it's worth spending some time reading it all. The main thing that sticks in my mind is around the fit of the turret ammo. If I remember correctly, doing it as per the instructions will foul the turret turning.

Obviously you're a way off that point, but worth bearing in mind for the future.

B

Bryan Cox

Bryan, I'm sure a link to this thread would be fine, or maybe a mod can move it for you. :smiling3:

Bob

Edited to add: Nice weathering by the way.

I've posted a link and asked if that will do!
Yes I like the weathering, its only a black wash, and a bit hit and miss as they are, but this ones more hit than miss I think!

B

Bryan Cox

Not a problem, I've got it bookmarked

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940975-trumpeter-king-tiger/

Although it's a long thread, it's worth spending some time reading it all. The main thing that sticks in my mind is around the fit of the turret ammo. If I remember correctly, doing it as per the instructions will foul the turret turning.

Obviously you're a way off that point, but worth bearing in mind for the future.

Thanks a lot. It was the build log I was reading, I just didn't read it far enough. It is a good build log, and I will have a more prolonged study. Thanks again. It sounds very much like the problem I experienced on the Type 4 F2 Medium Tank I last built. The upper hull just wouldn't fit in place because it fouled the radio assembly if you followed the instructions. I had to move it (the radio) a lot before the hull would fit properly. Remembering that issue I shall certainly read the build log with interest.

<Update> Just spent some time studying that build log more thoroughly. As the log progressed it became obvious the guy is a master modeller first class. I was truly gobsmacked as I got to his cutouts! I wonder if I'm brave enough to try something similar. Absolutely inspiring stuff, thank you for pointing it out to me.

It occurs to me that given I have a choice of turrets to play with, I'm perhaps going to have a spare to play with. So I may just experiment with a "cut-out" section.

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice going with this one ,Bryan,oh what a lovely big cat,;)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just caught up with this Bryon and wow what a lovely mess you have created inside ( no pun or insult intended) looks stunningly real and well dirtied up.
That is some skil
Il be tagging on to see this Cat roar!!!

Regards

Robert

B

Bryan Cox

Just caught up with this Bryon and wow what a lovely mess you have created inside ( no pun or insult intended) looks stunningly real and well dirtied up.
That is some skil
Il be tagging on to see this Cat roar!!!

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert and thanks for the compliment. I do think I overdid it a tad, but am happy with it overall. However the "skill" involved is questionable, so long as you are aware of what your doing its not difficult. For the uninitiated; assuming you stick with acrylics, its base colour on, then a varnish (I use an acrylic satin varnish) which seals and protects the base colour, then the wash, I simply use acrylic black, well watered down (like 1 part acrylic to 50 parts water!) then simply slap it on. Ensuring parts like seams and edges get more than the flat areas. A little at a time until the effect looks right. When completely satisfied you should varnish it again. Job done.
Thanks,
Bryan

B

Bryan Cox

Had a little time so I thought I'd add the torsion bars and swing arms, which I'd made a little earlier. Then temporarily add the road wheels to see how it looked. The torsion bars fitted OK more or less, once I'd established the order they went in, and which side was which! But the road wheels! That turned into a near nightmare! How ones earlier throw away words come back to haunt you; I'd previously "defended" the use of the poly caps, but how I now regreted it. My first error was priming the wheels rather too well. The two halves weren't fitted together tight enough, and the poly caps floating about in too much space within the wheels ensured most wheels wouldn't fit over the swing arm ends. All the wheels had to be prised apart (thank god I didn't glue them) the poly caps disposed of, the fittings well sanded, then reassembled.

All worked out OK in the end, but a five minute "see how it looks" job turned into over an hours hard labour! I've removed the wheels again, and they won't be seen again until the build is nearly finished, despite what the manual suggests!

Tiger-026.jpg

Tiger-027.jpg

Tiger-028.jpg

A few more bits and pieces, then its on to the gearbox and engine - more elaborate detail to have fun with!

Hmmm? Its not until I just posted that last photo I noticed the gap between the firewall bottom and the sides on the hull. I think it must have sprung free when I was struggling getting the sides of the engine housing fitted (it was a tight fit). Its corrected now!