Building a 1/35 Afghan village house for nothing!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all for the great comments chaps, I appreciate it.

Here is an update of progress. Not a great deal to show, but it's starting to come to life a bit now.

Whilst I was looking at the model and picking fluff out of my navel, I hit on the idea of a small enclosure for goats or sheep or whatever, so I made some more corrugated sheets and posts and made a rough fence.

Plus I made two gates out of scrap balsa. I cut the uprights in random widths to make them look more 'rustic' and in keeping with the rest of the model.

I made a couple of extra sheets as I thought the owner of the house would like a couple of extra, so he's left them against the wall!!

I have also piled some posts in a heap and added some more rubble.

I hope you like the build thus far. I will be adding more bits, but next I really will get to grips with the dirt road....

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 34543

View attachment 34544

View attachment 34545

An Afghan house 009.jpg

An Afghan house 011.jpg

An Afghan house 010.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent stuff ron, the corrugated sheets look brilliant , Glad to see youve got the brace running the right way on the gate!!! Once a joiner always a joiner!!This bit got me thinking though- "Whilst I was looking at the model and picking fluff out of my navel," Made me wonder what use youre going to find for the fluff, maybe tumbleweeds on the dirt road!!?Cheers matey tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Knowing our Ron, it wouldn't surprise me if he made some sheep out of that belly-button fluff! :lol

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Knowing our Ron, it wouldn't surprise me if he made some sheep out of that belly-button fluff! :lolGern
Only trouble is dave , theyd be blue!!! Why is belly button fluff always blue!!?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad you like it boys.....Tumbleweed to blue sheep in no time at all. Good lateral thinking.

Just off to root out some more fluff from the present Mrs. Ron's belly button. I hope I don't wake her!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K., I have done the dirt road now. I aquired the finish using diluted P.V.A. and sweepings from the drive.

I have dug out a rough open drain running along the road next to the house, which seems to be a common thing in rural Afghanistan, and also added a rather nice bench!!

Also, I've added a few bits and bobs. I am starting to break my number one rule 'No Fiddling' . So I will give it one more look over, but it's as good as done really.

If I don't come up with anything else I will post a very brief description of the build, plus perhaps a couple of pictures of the finished house, then go back to the Truck and Cargo G.B. proper.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 34581

View attachment 34582

View attachment 34583

An Afghan house 013.jpg

An Afghan house 015.jpg

An Afghan house 014.jpg

D

dm73

Awesome job young Ron, i'm going to steal your corrugated sheet idea for a dio i'm thinking of if ya don't mind. Looking forward to the blue rinse sheep .

S

Sky Raider

Like you Ron, i have been following your work also and this looks amazing, Just as it looks like you have nailed it you come up with something more. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps. I appreciate the nice comments......

Darren, I can't take the credit for the corrugated sheets idea. We owe it to Graham (Fenlander) as it was he who first posted the idea on here.

You can make the sheets really neatly if you want, so much so that they can actually overlap, just like for real. I'm afraid the ones in this diorama have been kicked, trodden on and generally abused!!

Cheers all,

Ron

D

dm73

Cheers Ron, i don't see Graham on here much anymore, but if i see him posting i'll let him know i'm nicking his idea:thumbsup:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As time is running out a bit on the Truck G.B. I've pushed on a bit with the diorama side.

Here is the third and final element for the G.B.. The figures.

I would have posted a set of figures along with the Unimog, but there were none that fitted into the story line for this diorama, until I came across a perfect set from I.C.M. (A Ukraine company) and very good they are too!

I have just finished one figure from the set with three more to go. I tried a bit of an experiment with his gun and chin straps and used ordinary thin paper cut into very thin scale strips. It works a treat. Easy to bend and stick and being paper there is no need to prime (unlike the tin foil I used)

Here is a couple of pickies of 'me man' ducked down behind a fallen tree.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 34616

View attachment 34617

An Afghan house 016.jpg

An Afghan house 017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello chaps (and Carrie) I have now finished the house part of the diorama which I will use for the Truck and Load G.B.

As you can see from my last post, there will be some figures involved in the finished job as well as the Unimog.

This has been great fun to do, partly 'cos a building, although basic, was something I had never attempted before. The build cost nothing to make and as I have already posted it's construction on the way, there is not much point going over it again. Suffice to say, it all started from two plant trays. So anyone who wants to do a dio. but is a bit unsure, just let your imagination flow and have a look around your garage/shed and garden, you will be surprised just what you will find to use. Which to me is the best part of making these models....

I will have a last look at it when it's all together and see if anything needs altering or adding, but I'm well happy as it is!!

I hope like me, you have learned something new and picked up some tips and ideas during the making of this.

Thanks for taking the time to look in and post comments, they made very encouraging reading....

Here are some pictures of the finished Afghan house.

I will now turn my attention back to the real subject of the G.B...The Unimog.

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 34642

View attachment 34643

View attachment 34644

An Afghan house 018.jpg

An Afghan house 020.jpg

An Afghan house 019.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You got every right to be pleased Ron. That's a wonderful piece of work!

Only one question. Did she wake up?

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
You got every right to be pleased Ron. That's a wonderful piece of work!Only one question. Did she wake up?

Gern
Thanks Dave for the comments. I appreciate them. Sorry for the delay in responding but managed to squeeze in a quick five day 'South 'til the butter melts' cheapo (thanks to Mr.O'Leary) and just got back home a few hours ago....

I'm glad you like the finished house. Never having attempted buildings before, it was all brand new to me and great fun to do...

She certainly did wake up, but it wasn't my name she came out with, more summat to do with suggesting I was borne out of wedlock!!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and post. Always good to read your stuff...

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: