Building the IMARA TUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve244

Hi Andy just caught up with your build and i must say it is amazing truely amazing dont know what else i can say a proper museum quality build mate

S

Sky Raider

This one is done guys. I have tried to show some of the smoke from the funnel but you can just make it out. It does look better in the flesh so to speak. Inside shots show the sound unit, cold smoke generator, speed controllers and receiver. A mixture of 12 and 24v units drive this thing, all I have to add is the christal for the receiver. I intend to sail this at a club outing on the 22nd so some pics on the water will be posted also the Smit Hunter will make its maden voyage.

Thank you all for following and all your kind and much appreciated comments.

View attachment 69182

View attachment 69182

View attachment 69187

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 69183

View attachment 69184

View attachment 69185

View attachment 69186

View attachment 69188

View attachment 69189

View attachment 69190

View attachment 69191

View attachment 69192

View attachment 69193

View attachment 69194

View attachment 69195

View attachment 69196

Completed (1).JPG

Completed (2).JPG

Completed (3).JPG

Completed (4).JPG

Completed (5).JPG

Completed (6).JPG

Completed (7).JPG

Completed (8).JPG

Completed (9).JPG

Completed (10).JPG

Completed (11).JPG

Completed (12).JPG

Completed (13).JPG

Completed (14).JPG

Completed (15).JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Absolutely fantastic to watch this project in the making and to see the fantastic finished item Andy. Absolutely superb. Look forward to seeing it on the water in due course.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have done it again!!!

Great work Andy and I look forward to seeing her in the water. I hope that you can squeeze a video in as well.

Ian M

M

mobear

yeehaaa now we`re cooking with gas,looking the dogs danglies andy,a 5 star build

mobear

ps i see the smoke lol

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys, I will certainly try a video if I can.

Cheers

Andy

S

steve244

A great build Andy cant wait to see this and the Hunter on the water in my humble opinion pics would not do this build proper justice a video would be stunning i think and hope she does float after all that hard work mate :D :D

C

CDW

Another couple of goes at making this sort of model and you'll get quite good at it eh Andy... :smiling3:

Seriously though .. What to say .. I suppose to sum up in one word, it would have to be ...

STUNNING!!

S

Sky Raider

Thank you guys. Keep a weatherly eye on the horizon for the next craft approaching :smiling3:

Cheers

Andy

R

retired

\ said:
Day 7As i said earlier the instructions are no help and i decided to go it alone. First job was to fit the rails around the sides of the hull, some compound curves meant slotting the rails to get them to fit without snapping the wood this made it form very easily. Once these were in place i had to fit the cross supports and to make sure these were in the correct location i offered in the ply decks and marked off the locations. Next once this was all in place i made up some fillets and additional supports for added strength at the joints. All this was tacked in place with CA and tomorrow i will mix up some resin and hardener and run it around under the edge support strips.

Fitting the deck ply temp showed up anothe problem... the hull moulding is slightly out of shape across the width and the ply does not fit correctly and has some heafty gaps along the edge, im in two minds as to making new decks or filling in the gaps, i will contemplate this further when i see how much bigger the gap is once the curve of the deck is formed. Just another pitfall of this kit. I dont think i will build another one from this manufacturer.

View attachment 60024View attachment 60025View attachment 60026View attachment 60027View attachment 60028View attachment 60029View attachment 60030View attachment 60031

View attachment 60032

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy, agree totally, will not buy another kit from this crowd. The focs'l break on the port side was 1" longer than starboard.

Began my Imara July 2013, much time spent dressing the "metal" parts. Running a tape round the hull at rail level, port side was longer than starboard. Am at the stage of making and fitting tow rope guards, having fitted windlass and aft capstan.

First Name
Julian
Sky Raider
I might have come along a bit late on your build but I would like to thank you for your excellent and meticulous job you did on your IMARA.
IMARA is my favorite model and I call it “The Pinnacle”of all models. I read every comment you entered in this forum and I know that this model can bring lots of hair pulling, but I’m willing to take the challenge and it will be my next model to build.
I found it on EBay for $550.00 and for that money I grabbed it right away. I’m in the process of selling my home for a larger one where I will have my dream work shop, but I already have started to build a working creadle for the hull.
Very soon I will post my building log here and all thanks to your efforts in fixing all of the terrible bumps along the way.
You will be my inspiration.
Than You
Julián from Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.