BV 222

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well this one's been sat in the stash for a couple of years. This is as good a time as any to start it:

View attachment 75501

View attachment 75502

View attachment 75503

View attachment 75504

View attachment 75505

I hope this doesn't count as cheating, but I took the major parts from the sprues a couple of days ago for a test fit. I wouldn't be doing this at all if it fit poorly, but the big bits fit perfectly. Let's see if they still look perfect when I add glue .....

Gern

PS I'm NOT doing the one with the snow camo.

PPS The kit doesn't include pilot figures. The ones shown are from my spares box.

Box.JPG

Instructions.JPG

Sprues1.JPG

Sprues2.JPG

Sprues3.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ian, according to my calculations it should be about 20" long with a 25" wingspan.

As for the snow camo - EVERYBODY does that one. I wanted mine to be different. Besides, I only just bought the paints in the right colours. I don't want to be wasting my money by coverin' 'em up later!

Gern

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks great Gern, like a Sunderland, but even bigger.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's one brute of an aircraft Dave.......Six engines! I struggle with one!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Wish I had picked the 'snow' version now.

For that one, three of the windows on the port side are blanked off so you have, in theory, three spare transparencies. For the other version, you need these windows. Put in the transparencies supplied - and that leaves two short for the starboard windows!

One version needs 6 and the other needs 9 of that particular piece. The kit supplies 7. Go figure!

Anyway, I replaced the missing ones with some cut from a blank transparent CD - the ones they supply as protection in those stacks you can buy.

Gotta mask them on the inside then ready to paint - as soon as my paints arrive.

Gern

Edit: Forgot to mention that Revell got two sets of numbers for the windows the wrong way round in the instructions. Hope the rest doesn't turn out so problematical!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
That's one brute of an aircraft Dave.......Six engines! I struggle with one!
While waiting for my paint, I've been test fitting some bits.

You won't believe it Ron, but there are only a handful of parts for each engine, and apart from one mould seam on each one - which takes a couple of minutes to clean up - there is NO filling required anywhere on either the engines or the nacelles!

If you look at pic 3, you'll see the nacelles are moulded onto a piece which fits on the front of the wing. I've tried these against the wing and also a dry fit of the wings to the fuselage. Unless I get it wrong, none of these joints will need filler either. I reckon Revell have excelled themselves with this one. In fact, I can't remember ever building anything else where the major parts have fit so perfectly.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks like it will be a nice model to construct and not the sort that fights you all the way....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks a big ol' bugger. It will look very impressive.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've seen this kit made into a really impressive model.Ive no doubt yours will look really good as well.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. I really must get back and do a bit more - I've been sort of carried away with my D-day build the last few days.

Gern

J

John Huggins

Looking forward to seeing some pic's Dave :smiling3: .

Love the subject, never seen one befor.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've done some assembly and painting of internal bits - some dry brushing still needed for the control panels. Long way to go but so far no problems with the fit anywhere.

Dave W - the seat cushions are painted with that Vallejo clear wood you were looking at for the canopy of your TSR2. As you can see, it's too dark for the subtle effect you're after.

View attachment 77005

Gern

Crew etc.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking forward to seeing this big beast come together Dave , looking great so far , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
A good start Dave.I see what you mean about the wood colour.Looks good on the seats.

J

John Huggins

Cool start Gern looking good. keep up the good work.

John