C-160 Transall "Gabrielle" Finished

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Ok, as you all know, I purchased a Heller 1:72 scale C-160 Transall "Gabrielle" a few weeks ago. I was disappointed when I found out that what I thought was a glue together kit, was in all actuallity a snap together kit.

I know I may sound overly critical at times, but this model was a big let down. It had many gaps, the rear doors dont fit together properly, the propellors snap in if you want them to turn, the side loading door has a huge gap around it.

The subject was a very good subject, but the kit could have been alot better.

Anyway, I just finished it up about an hour ago and got the photos uploaded into my gallery so here ya go, the Heller 1:72 scale C-160 Transall "Gabrielle" Finished.

Anyway, the model was really simple and the snap together aspect did help in preliminary painting, but, unless you just want to have one to add to your collection of other large 1:72 scale aircraft like the C 130 or KC 135, I would suggest you pass on buying this one.

Maybe someday someone will come out with a better model of this subject.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

Bluewavestudios

Greg,

I love the way you do your outdoor shots, always makes the model look bigger than it really is, hence the reason I thought your B-57 was an R/C Model too...Love the work and yet another fine model too !!!

Regards.......Mark.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Mark,

Well thanks for the kind words. I have mentioned before that the outdoor shots done at ground level with the model is an angle that people arent used to seeing.

I really wish more people would give this angle a try with their models, it does give you a very different perspective that makes the model not only look bigger, I think it also puts the plane in a more realistic looking surrounding (albeit the shots were taken on my driveway).

This angle is not only great for models, but if you like to take photos of nature.... well lets just say you will never look at a dandilion or mushroom the same again its an angle that is somewhat refreshing in my opinion.

This was the second model I have finished today, and I am going to call it a night, I might try to finish two more tomorrow, I have like a half dozen or more models started.

Anyway, again I appreciate the kind words.

have a good evening,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Tiger,

Yep, thats the same Heller. And that fact didnt help when I was writing the above posting in this thread.

However this model should have been advertised as a snap tite type model on the box in the first place, so the kit lost points before I ever started building it.

The fact that it was a heller kit also influenced my judgement abit having read the thread on Airfix/Heller here.

But I stand by my evaluation, dont go out of your way to avoid this kit if you like the subject, but dont go out of your way to buy it either.

Anyway, I could go on and on about Heller, France and the model, but I really need to call it a night pretty soon.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

Bluewavestudios

Thanks Greg,

Even the first 2 top down shots make your model look bigger (fine grain tarmac I suppose) but it still looks good.

Regards.....Mark.

T

tigertc

As i mentioned in another thread, model making is going through something of a renaissance at the moment. I find it difficult to understand how such a mamoth brand name like Airfix could get so screwed up. Any business with a turnover in the millions can be turned around. The management at heller should be ashamed of themselves....either that, or the destruction of Airfix was deliberate. The days of ill fitting parts should be over there is no excuse for poor quality stuf in modelling. As in the Bionic Man "We have the technology"

I think from your post , If Heller cant get their own parts to fit -there was never going to be a hope for Airfix.

I had heard a rumour that Hornby were sniffing around the Airfix brand (I want Tamiya to buy them, the quality control on Tam stuff is beyond compare) But Hornby come a good 3rd place as far as quality is concerned.

If you werent so far away i would pass the filler! I still have a litre left that i intend to use on my Airfix 1/24 me109 :smiling3: