Calling all ship builders

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I normally build planes of various scale and I have recently done a couple of bikes. I have been playing with the idea of doing a ship, but can't decide whether to try an old ship with sails and rigging ( might be out of my comfort zone with that bit), or try a ww2 type. Just wondering if anyone can suggest what would be best for me to try for my 1st attempt.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
For me Paul I would go for something post-war or modern with very little rigging to do, just to get into ship building. 

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Have to agree with Si. The much simpler rigging on modern ships will enable you to practise techniques and find materials which suit you before you get into the complexities of rigging sail.

First Name
Gwyn
Definitely in agreement with the above, build up slowly to the complicated models with lots of rigging

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Will start looking and try to decide what to start with.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I meant to say you might look for something in the larger scales - perhaps a 1/72 torpedo boat or similar. Starting in 1/350 would be a bit daunting!

I wouldn't recommend an old kit though. Some of them can be difficult even for more experienced builders due to fit problems etc. - but that goes for any genre.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
agree with what other,s have said,maybe try ,some think like a viking long boat,a tug,just some think to get the feel of them, :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep I agree modern and the larger the scale the better, or try scratch building one you can get some very nice simple plans for balsa ships and you can get cheap balsa bundles specifically for that type of project.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks again everyone. Really got some ideas there. Ken, might try your idea later. Going to try plastic to get the feel. Wouldn't mind trying building with balsa but not sure if I have the room. My cave isn't very big.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You could always join in the Group build that starts January 1st, Battleships and the like. I am sure you will get help what ever you chose.